Problem adding contacts in yahoo messenger?

Why can't i add contacts in yahoo messenger.the message "Your request to add to a contact has taken longer than expected,

The operation may have succeeded pls check your messenger later" What causes this problem?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

1.In the Messenger window, click the Add a Contact button.

The Add to Messenger List window opens.

2.In the Add window, enter the contact’s Yahoo! ID, then click the Next button.

Tip: An email address can be used to invite someone to join as described in Inviting Friends to Use Messenger tutorial.

3.In the next display of the Add window, do the following:

#Select a group from the pull-down list or type a new group name.

# Enter an optional introductory message.

#If you like, change how your name appears in the request that will be sent to this contact.

#Click the Change button.

#The Change Name window opens.

#In the Change Name window, enter your first and last name (you can even leave them blank), then click the OK button.

# Click the Next button.

4.In the final display of the Add window, you can do any of the following by clicking the associated link:

#Send your contact details to this contact—opens the Send My Contact Details window, where you can select which of your contact information you want to send to this contact.

Tip: If you haven’t filled in your details, the My Contact Details window opens first. After you add and save your information, the Send My Contact Details window opens.

# Request contact details from this contact—opens the IM window where a notice tells you that your request has been sent to the contact and where you can begin instant messaging the contact.

Note: Sending or requesting contact details allows you to return to this display in the Add a Contact window.

#Add another contact to your Messenger List—returns you to the first page in the Add a Contact window where you can begin adding another contact.

5.Click the Finish button.

Messenger displays the contact’s name on your Messenger List in a temporary state. If the contact accepts your request, the addition becomes permanent. If the contact declines, Yahoo! Messenger sends you a notice and removes the name from your Messenger List.

• Yolanda6 years agoReport

This is the usual way how to do it but I have the same problem and it does not help how i can fix it

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I'm using a dsl connection at home.I still have this problem !!! I can't add anyone ! Even if I add them from yahoo email,I still see them offline ! what a problem !

• 5 years ago

I have same problem is not from internet provider I have high speed internet cable I have couple more yahoo email address I open yahoo messenger with my other email address works great I can add fast but the one which I am using a lot I cant add so that means some thing is going with yahoo messenger if you have too many friends in contact list? maybe?

• 6 years ago

when I invite a friend to join yahoo messenger.....it says "your request to add a contact has taken longer than expected to complete. what is the problem?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

“Currently, the Yahoo! Address Book team is upgrading some of their servers over the next few weeks. As a result, you may occasionally run into these types of errors.

As a workaround, you can try the edit again later in Yahoo! Messenger or to make your changes right away, head over to http://address.mail.yahoo.com and make your changes directly on the Address Book site.”

Hope this helps!!!

Source(s): yahoo
  • 4 years ago

im having the same problem. Its makjing me look terrible to my boss. We are using it within a few people here at work but everyone is having problems adding people. Whats going on??/

• 1 decade ago

It seems the problem is with your Internet provider. Usually this stuff happends when you use a 3G mobile connection. I recommend you to try a DSL connection when adding new contacts.

• 6 years agoReport

I'm using a dsl connection at home.I still have this problem !!! I can't add anyone ! Even if I add them from yahoo email,I still see them offline ! what a problem !

• 5 years ago

adding contacts

• 4 years ago

cannt add my contacts in yahoo messenge

• 4 years ago

i cant add anybody at my yahoo messenger how can i fix it ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.