Serious problem. Will anyone listen?

My sister has been a cutter for 2 years now. It started when our dad died from cancer and her long time boyfriend dumped her right afterward because "our family's grief was too intense for him". It was minor at first, but now it's become this frightening ritual because she's been having a tough time getting over our dad's death. She dropped out of school in the middle of her senior year and stopped talking to the family, except for me. Every night she locks her self in the bathroom slicing her skin. It hurts me so much to see her do this. Our mom has become emotionally detatched from us since dad died, so I've basically been taking care of everyone, even though I'm the youngest. Last night, my sister almost went too far. There was blood everywhere and she needed stitches. I lied to the doctors about what happened because I don't want to lose my sister's trust, but she needs help and I can't do it on my own anymore. I know I should tell someone but I can't get up enough courage to do so. My family has been torn apart and I can't shoulder the burden anymore of trying to keep it together. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Favorite Answer

Okay, this is a serious problem. One I think I can help with.

I had a friend a few years back, also in my senior year of highshcool, who did the exact same thing. His girlfriend of 3 years died in a car accident so he completely sheltered himself away from everybody around him, family and all. He began drug abusing and also tormenting himself through burns and wrist cutting.

Out of everyone, he seemed to trust me, and he told me everything going on in his every day life. He shared the poems he wrote and whatnot. Despite him giving me all his trust, I took that and reported it to the guidance counsellors at school. They, in turn, did a huge deal to provide help to this fellow. The police played a role in the drugs, although they dropped the charges, it was meant to bring him into a circle of help, albeit through force. Now, i'm not quite sure where he is now, but from what the guidance counsellor could tell me, he is in a better standing in the world than he was when I reported it to them.

Tell someone in a position that can help... its the only way you can help them. They might despise you at first, but given time...they'll realize you had the best intentions in mind.

Source(s): My own personal world of experience.

This is definetly a hard topic. My roommate is also a cutter and I didn't know what to do either. All I could really do was be there for her to listen we she wanted to talk and take away the sharp objects when she asked/when i had to. She did get help, but it was her descision. She finally started talking to a counselor and did go through a short stay at a behavioral health hospital. It worked well for her as they were able to help her talk through her issues and get some medication for her depression (and other issues). The best thing I can tell you to do is go to a couselor and talk to them. Not just about what to do for your sister, but about what you can do for yourself as well. The counselor would be able to give you advice on how to handle this. You may want to try this, and if it helps you, talk to your sister and tell her that it's helping and she should try it. It sounds like your whole family would benefit from some counseling. Maybe if you are the one to take the first step, and it helps, they will follow suit.

tell someone plz becuz the next time u might not be so lucky. my great grandmother died and i took it pretty hard but then i started writing everything that was wrong down and oddly enough it totally helped. maybe secretly tell ur mom and tell her how you shouldnt be taking care of the family when you want to live your life. tell her that you know its hard since he was your dad to. tell her not to tell your sister you told and then if she gets back on her feet tell her to get your sister help. i really do hope this works out =/

Source(s): School and discussions

Ring Doctor and state clearly you lied Your family needs professional help It is extremely hard coping with grief Are not betraying her Are saving her Get help urgently

That's very sad and heartbreaking. From my experiences with people who have been cutters I don't think that there really is anything you can say that will help them because it is almost out of your own control. You just have to pray and have faith in God.

keep her away from sharp objects is all i can say....sorry i hate blood, so i cant really put myself in ur place...

Source(s): ...