Sophie asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

How long will it take to learn FRENCH fluently?

Hi im a sophomore in high school and in French 2 and i was wondering how long it will take me to learn french fluently?

Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

It really depends on what method you use.

If you go to France and study there you could become fluent in 6 months.

If you stay in the U.S. and keep taking French classes throughout High School and college you still wouldn't be fluent--you would be intermediate to lower advanced (if you take it throughout college).

If you study French in the U.S. through hs and then take vacations to France or Quebec, use French with some natives or French speakers in your neigborhood, and study online, etc you could become fluent in about 2-4 years.

The thing is you have to use the language.

I've taken Spanish in middle school and high school for 5 years and still not fluent because I never use it outside of school and I never been immersed in the language.

The time it takes to become fluent depends on several things, the most important of which is whether you are living in a francophone country. If you live someplace like France or Québec for a year, you will most likely be fluent towards the end of that. If you're not living in a francophone country, it can take 5 to 10 years, or more.

The other factors are

1. Your age - the younger you are when you start, the better

2. Your aptitude for language - some people are just better at language than others

3. The effort you put into learning - if you practice every day you'll learn and remember a lot more than someone who goes to class once a week but never practices outside of class

When you get to Quebec, your French skills will most probably heighten. That's usually what happens when you are living in a French- speaking area. Until then, I would sign up for a beginner's French class at your local night school or community college. They usually teach you the fundamentals and how to have a basic French conversation. It would be wise to buy a French-English dictionary. Also, if you have some free time on your hands, pick up a French movie and try watching it without subtitles. You'd be surprised how much of it you will understand. Good luck.

I'm taking French 3 right now as a sophmore in high school, but I am no where near fluent. I think to become fluent in any language, you need to have the experience of speaking to people. Since I think you are learning France French, the best way to become fluent is to speak with someone from France or to live in France for a short period of time.

When talking to a native speaker, you will learn all kinds of things that you would have never known just in school. Example: slang

It also helps if you can start to THINK in French. Not translating each word as you speak or write. =)

I'm Japanese but when I try to help someone with Japanese, it's a little hard to explain because I can only type/write it out instead of speaking it.

Best of Luck

1st high school french does not cover all grammar aspects of the language. So by college standards you are still a beginner.

However, you become actively involved with the language you could build your skills towards fluency. You will not be fluent in 1year..that is a fact! You will have good skills but not fluent.

Get involved in a group where they only speak French.

Watch tons of French TV/movies (tv monde 5 is avail via cable and direct tv)

Bottom line if you do not start speaking the language with natives, the longer it'll take you to be TRULY fluent.

Bonne Chance!!

Learning French in high school is not a fast or easy way to become fluent in any language. To become fluent quickly, you need to be fully immersed in the language and around native speakers. So, it's not likely you will become fluent in French if you only take it as a high school course.

• Natal

long learn french fluently

You can learn french in 5 months if you go live in France, in a " lycée français " and where you only speak with french people, but you can learn French in 7 years, if you don't train it a lot.

I'm a French native speaker, and, i think my text betray me, I don't speak english very well U.U If you want to have my msn adress to improve your French and me my english, send me an e-mail =)

The first question you WANT to ask yourself is what do you mean by LEARN FRENCH?

Do you want to learn just basic words and sentences?

This can be done in a few short weeks...

FS