Where (and when!) is the closest place to the sun on earth.?

Please take into account that the earth is not perfectly round and that it's tilted. So the closest place is probably on the tropic of capricorn or the tropic of cancer. Or very close by. I dunno, it could be a high mountain in the Andes: the tropic of capricorn runs through the Andes mountains. I'm just guessing.

Also take time into account. the earth's orbit around the sun is eclipse shaped. Additionally, maybe each year the shape changes a tiny bit? Please mind as many variables as you can muster to provide an accurate guess to when, and where, the closest place is.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I seem to remember doing this calculation before and I came to the conclusion that the answer was a mountain peak in the Andes. The Earth is closest to the Sun between January 2nd and 4th, at which time the Sun is overhead at latitude 23º south, so it must be a mountain peak at or near that latitude. Since the closest approach is usually given to the nearest hour, I also calculated that if this time happens to be when the Sun is overhead in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, then a point on the ocean surface will be the closest to the Sun for that year.

I'll come back later when I've found the name of the particular peak in the Andes.

[Later:]

Cerro Zapaleri in the Andes is the answer: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200901...

As I said, the actual place of closest approach varies from year to year. Also, the minimum distance between Earth and Sun varies from year to year because the Earth's orbit is not exactly elliptical. Therefore the minimum distance will also vary from year to year. If you did a check of these close approaches for (say) 50 years, it might just happen that the closest approach to the Sun happens one day near 0h UT, when the Sun is overhead in the Pacific. So all you could really say is that the summit of Cerro Zapaleri is theoretically the point on the Earth which can come closest to the Sun in the present era.

To answer Raj's point. Mount Everest is at latitude 28º N. The sun is nearest to being overhead there at the June solstice. However, it is also 3 million miles farther from the Earth at that time of year compared with January.

• Login to reply the answers
  • GeoffG
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

This closest place is constantly changing as the Earth rotates, constantly moving from East to West. It also shifts North and South with the seasons, but always within the Tropics. It's also irrelevant, because, compared to the distance from the Earth to the Sun, the diameter of the Earth is negligible.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Somewhere at -24.8 degrees (i.e., 24.8 degrees south) latitude. The primary candidate countries for having the closest place to the sun are Brazil, Australia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, and Mozambique. More specifically, the place is the highest mountain at the proper latitude. The time is local noon on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day of January.

• ras
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It relies upon on the time of day and the day of year. Everest may well be closest to the solar in summer season at midday through fact it quite is in northern latitudes. in the ineffective of nighttime community time, it would be 8000 miles farther from the solar than at midday. in the iciness, a mountain in the Andes may well be closer to the solar, through fact the lean of the earth might placed Everest farther away.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Between Appril to september, in Bullhead City Arizona, the sun is parked on the lowest mountain range in the area. It is hotter than the hubs of hell at a balmy 138 degrees day and night.

• monlyn
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Closet Place

• 1 decade ago

The closest place to the sun on earth? .If the Q is which place on earth is closest to the sun? It should be the highest point on earth ie Mount Everest.All those who replied to the asker's Q may clarify if I am right or wrong.

• 6 years ago

Mount Pardis, the nearest place to the sun

http://www.tehrantimes.com/highlights/98063-mount-...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.