How to and what to use to disinfect agains MRSA?

My grandson has contacted MRSA, we need to go in and disinfect the home. I know that bleach can be used for the most of it, but what about soft toys and furniture(its leather) and the cat. Please only serious answers.

Favorite Answer

• Keep hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and water or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that has a concentration of 60%-95% ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropanol .

• Keep cuts and scrapes clean and covered with a bandage until healed.

• Avoid contact with other people's wound or bandages.

• Avoid sharing personal items such as shin guards, socks, towels, razors, clothing, or uniforms that may have had contact with the infected wound or bandage. Wash sheets, towels, and clothes that become soiled with water and laundry detergent.

• Encourage your child to report “sores” to you, the coaches if applicable, and the school nurse.

When cleaning the home environment to prevent, or control the spread of a MRSA infection, you need to use a product that states on the label that it kills Methicillin-Resistant Staph aureus (MRSA). If it does not state this, then there is no assurance that the product will destroy the bacteria. Products that you would think kill MRSA, but does not state that on the label, i.e. chlorox wipes, is not the best product to use. These products typically kill staph aureus, but not the MRSA bacteria.

Mr. Clean Antibacterial Multi-Surface spray states it kills MRSA.

• A bleach:water solution of 1:10 (3/4 cup bleach in 1 gallon of water) kills MRSA and is effective for bathrooms and locker rooms, * but this bleach solution only remains effective for 24 hours after mixing , so should be discarded at the end of the day . The solution can be put in a spray bottle and the area sprayed with the solution and allowed to dry to kill MRSA.

• A bleach:water solution of 1:100 (1 Tablespoon bleach in 1 quart of water) can be used effectively to clean areas less likely to be as contaminated (kitchens) *as above.

• Hand soaps are effective in washing off the germs when used correctly. The important thing to remember is to wash your hands vigorously with warm soapy water for at least 15 seconds.

• Sani-Cloth Plus Hard Surface Disinfectant, Super Sani-Cloth Germicidal Disposable Cloths, Sani-Cloth HB, Sani-Dex ALC, and Vionex wipes kill MRSA.

• Hibiclens soap kills MRSA.

and as always for any infectious infections go to the www.cdc.gov web site and search under MRSA

Source(s): I am a Nurse
  • jilek

Mrsa Disinfectant

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): disinfect agains mrsa: https://biturl.im/2oBVW

I got MRSA from cutting myself with a cheap razor two years ago! It was terrible. Don't use anything he uses. Wash clothes seperately. I hear that peroxide helps to disinfect. Also, I think one of the most important things to do is strengthen your immune system! MRSA invades when your immune system is weak. Taking vitamin C pills is an easy way to do it. Hope this helps.

for the toys you can use watered down bleach

You can fill a bucket with sobleach and water and soak the toys in it.