promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

help me in buying a laptop?

1)no heating problems

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Home users are increasingly turning to notebooks as their primary PCs; they like that laptops can offer similar performance and features to those of a desktop PC and can be easily moved from room to room. Though of course almost any notebook will do for typical home use, there are two types of notebooks most suitable for home users: midsize notebooks, which tend to be budget-friendly, and desktop replacements, which are usually packed with features.

Key Features

AMD Turion 64, AMD Turion 64 X2, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Core 2 Duo

At least 1GB of memory

Large hard drive for storing digital photos and video

14.1-inch display or larger

Fixed or swappable DVD burner

Wired and wireless networking

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium or Apple Mac OS X

Student

Students and others on a tight budget should look for a laptop that delivers the most bang for the buck. In particular, students need a notebook that is small and light enough to lug back and forth across campus but rugged enough to withstand bouncing around in a backpack.

Key Features

AMD Turion 64, AMD Turion 64 X2, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Core 2 Duo

At least 1GB of memory

Big hard drive to hold all those MP3s

DVD burner for backups and class projects

Wired and wireless networking for network-equipped classrooms and dorm rooms

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium or Apple Mac OS X

Frequent flier

If you spend a lot of time on the road, size and weight are the two most critical factors in choosing a new notebook--even if it means sacrificing a little on performance and features. The smallest and lightest notebooks, ultraportables, weigh less than four pounds and are no thicker than a spiral-bound notebook.

Key Features

AMD Turion 64, AMD Turion 64 X2, Intel Core Solo, or Intel Core Duo

At least 1GB of memory

A 13.3-inch display or smaller

Extended battery for those cross-country flights

Media slice or external CD-RW/DVD drive

Port replicator for the desk

Microsoft Windows Vista Business

Business power user

If you rely on the same notebook at work, at home, and on the road, you need a well-balanced system. And it has to deliver the performance to keep up with a wide range of applications. A thin-and-light is just the ticket.

Key Features

AMD Turion 64 X2 or Intel Core 2 Duo

At least 1GB of memory, preferably 2GB for Windows Vista

Midsize hard drive

A 14-inch or 15.4-inch display

Dual-layer DVD burner

Extra battery

Microsoft Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate

Multimedia author or gamer

If you demand more from a notebook, you'll need a true desktop replacement. Whether you're designing a Web site, editing home movies, or mowing down aliens, your notebook will demand a powerful processor, plenty of memory, great graphics, and a healthy hard drive.

Key Features

AMD Turion 64 X2, Intel Core 2 Duo, or Intel Core 2 Extreme

2GB or more of memory

A 15.4-inch display or larger

Advanced graphics card with 256MB or 512MB of its own memory or dual SLI graphics

The largest and fastest hard drive available

Dual-layer DVD burner, possibly HD-DVD or Blu-Ray compatible

Multimedia connectors, such as S-Video, HDMI, FireWire, S/PDIF

External keyboard and mouse

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate, or Apple Mac OS X

Source(s): magazine
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

here's my YA! laptop buying guide:

with any computer, you need to sit down and make a list of 3 things:

1. budget. by far, this will decide your choice more than any other factor.

2. uses: here, you have to be brutally honest. don't think about what you _could_ do, but what you _need_ it to do.

3. do the research, wait for sales, check different places, etc.

A few rules of thumb:

1. CPU: you definitely want at least a dual core chip. a single core chip has trouble even with XP, much less Vista, and a quad core chip will drain the battery faster.

2. OS: A few budget computers come with Linux or Leopard, try to avoid those unless you are relatively tech savvy, since you have to locate drivers individually in most cases. Vista uses more battery than XP, so if you have to choose, pick XP over Vista.

3. Weight: in general, the "best" laptops have 13" or 14" screens, because of the tradeoff between weight, convenience, and graphics. Bigger is not better in the laptop world. Avoid 17" screens unless it's going to be a desktop computer. If you plan on carrying it around at all, 5-6lbs is the maximum weight you should consider, and don't forget to include 1-2 pounds for accessories and the power supply. As a general rule, a 7 lb computer will end up 10 lbs in the case, a 5 lb computer will end up ~6.5-7lbs. 14" laptops usually weigh in at under 5 lbs. My coworkers have 4 lb macbooks, and they don't bring their computers to work anymore.

4. Memory: as a rule of thumb, you want 1 gig minimum for XP, 2 gig for Vista.

5. Battery: couple things you need to know here:

Type: Li-Ion is the industry standard now, because batteries without Li-ion explode from overcharging. It's rare now, but if you buy a used one or old one, make sure you check for that.

mAh: what this means is the storage capacity of the battery. 2000 mAh means a 3 cell battery, 4000 mAh means 6 cell, etc. As a general rule, the bigger the battery, the longer it lasts and the more it costs. Most netbooks come with 3 cell batteries and run 2-3 hours. A 15" laptop will run the same amount on a 6 cell battery. However, a 13-14" laptop will run around 5-7 hours on a 6 cell battery.

6. Return policy: I bought mine from Office Depot. They have a no-return policy (exchange only.) If you aren't sure you will like a particular laptop, my advice is to buy it from Walmart, that will do refunds within 14 days on laptops. My first purchase was an Acer Aspire One from walmart, and the battery was so pathetic, i returned it.

• 1 decade ago

good that u r planning to buy a laptop amidst these recession which will help one of the companys to go for more production...

as far the laptop is concerned.

It should be problem free with high standards

i would really recommend sony vaio as these laptops are userfriendly and one of these main components are vio works with windows excellent and also helps u solveprob easily.. u will not have prob with heating and booting....

So go in for a viao which willhave a longer durablity

• 1 decade ago

Well if you can live without gaming skip the dedicated graphics card especially nvidia gforce and buy an HP or Dell even toshiba is good dell had heating problems with nvidia hp is running fine though it does heat up at times

Source(s): used Toshiba dell vostro and using hp pavilion all with dedicated nvidias
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I dont think any laptops sold today will have problems with heat but to be sure, perhaps go with an ASUS.

ASUS also produces components for other manufacturers, including Sony (PlayStation 2), Apple Inc. (iPod, iPod Shuffle, MacBook), Alienware, Falcon Northwest, Palm, Inc., HP.

• lutke
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

until you will improve to a extra appropriate motherboard and CPU, then i might in simple terms bypass with the recent one. the rationalization for this may well be that there ought to okay be different themes that should value extra funds to repair, or there must be different themes arise quickly after the restoration. extra appropriate to purchase the recent one and characteristic the guaranty. despite the fact which you would be able to make this an risk to enhance your laptop to a far extra appropriate and quicker gadget. you could make it precisely the way you may like it. yet the two way, you will would desire to spend some income this undertaking you have. stable success to you.

• 1 decade ago

Don't buy a Toshiba as they are annoying (they are not bad computers, they are just annoying because it has a really sensitive mouse)..... buy an hp. They are the best ones out there. Any freezing problems could be caused by windows vista. I hate windows vista.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Personally, I would rather choose the company that produces the laptop and their ability to deal with problems that you will invariably have.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hey my friend now i have a few options for you i dont know what you want it for so here are your options

If you are looking for a high quality good for editing videos and having fun i recomend a Mac Book

Now the best for Windows is a Sony Vaio

• 1 decade ago

don't by vaio

because we have to put more money on that but features will be less.

don't buy toshiba

because they ar not good in service

don't buy lenovo and ibm

they are only for fashion and not good in preformance and in configuration

buy hp

less price more featues,high configuration,excellent performance,good baterry packup,less heating.

if you have doubts compare all laptop featues and prices.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.