Ivy asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Leukemia, symptoms, follow-up and relapse.?

I'm writing a story about leukemia, it's a teenage boy who get this. I did a few research but because it branches out to four types and i was quite confused with some of the symptoms and relapse. I figured out that i should perhaps study more about it since I'm a medical student as well, so, I wanna know, is

1. which type of leukemia will reoccur after years? or does it depend on successful rate of the chemo treatment?

2. if it relapses, which symptoms appear first before another? (disease progress/severity)

3, as for the follow-up if it's a ALL, how long does the patient follow-up? and does he/she take anymore chemo/drugs during the follow-up period?

also, i know it might be rare, since there are treatment and bone marrow transplant available, but i read somewhere that there are people who dies from leukemia, but in truth, does a person dies from it?

Favorite Answer

After treatment begins, the goal is remission of the leukemia (when there is no longer evidence of cancer cells in the body). Once remission has occurred, maintenance chemotherapy is usually used to keep the patient in remission. Maintenance chemotherapy is given in cycles over a period of 2 to 3 years to keep the cancer from reoccurring. Leukemia will almost always relapse (reoccur) if this additional chemotherapy isn't given. Sometimes the cancer will return in spite of maintenance chemotherapy, and other forms of chemotherapy will then be necessary.

AML, ALL, CML and CLL patients who are in remission need to see their doctors regularly for exams and blood tests. Bone marrow tests may be needed from time to time. The doctor may recommend longer periods of time between follow-up visits if a patient continues to be disease free...The symptoms of relapse can be anywhere from fatigue, persistent fever or other signs of infection, abnormal blood tests, etc.

Yes! my friend received follow -up chemo even after remission... If you go into remission, you may receive additional chemotherapy or radiation therapy to kill any cancer cells that are in the spinal fluid. You may also receive chemotherapy from time to time to prevent relapse.

If your leukemia returns or does not respond to other treatments, your doctor may recommend a bone marrow transplant after high-dose chemotherapy!

Yes, there are various types of leukemia, mine is AML, but virtually all of them require follow-up for the rest of a person's life. By follow-up, I am referring to periodic tests to make sure the patient is still in remission.

Virtually all types of leukemia see relapses, but it is a very individual thing as to how long a patient will be in remission...some for years and others just for months.

The main symptom of both the original leukemia and when a relapse occurs, is decreasing energy and low blood counts...which should be monitored regularly. Leukemia depletes the hemoglobin, the platelets and severly affects the white blood cells (immune system).

During the follow-up period, while the patient is in remission, there is no need for chemo. One thing that is being done in many large hospitals now, is that patients who are currently in remission, can have their OWN stem cells collected and frozen for the future in the event they need a transplant. I just had my cells collected recently and this is called AUTOLOGOUS...meaning "self donated". By using one's own cells for a transplant there is virtually no rejection to worry about.

Good luck with your story!

Source(s): Personal experience
  • snuggs

even whether it incredibly is Leukemia tell your self i visit beat this down lower back. whether it incredibly is a relapse choose for a bone marrow transplant. bypass to the college of Minnesota. they are going to guard you. I had a bone marrow transplant when I relapsed and that i'm been maximum cancers unfastened for style of three years.

you can find that here in this site for leukemia with many useful links too http://leukemiadoc.blogspot.com/