Looking for a very easy, very cheap meal to make in my big slow cooker/ crock pot.?

I would rather not have to brown any meats for this. I just want something I can throw in the crock pot and ****. I would like it to be something that will make plenty of leftovers, so I can have meals for next week, and something that is fairly "complete" rather then a side dish. Thanks for your suggestions!

Update:

I just realized it censored me, and I have no idea what the word was. I must have mistyped something.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Murray
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Buy a chuck roast. It's one of the cheapest cuts of meats but has the most flavor (because of the fat). My husband's favorite. Leftovers will last him for days. Get whatever size of meat you want. Will not affect cooking time and you can add as many veggies as the pot will hold. Here is the recipe that I give out most often. No muss, no fuss. Just don't ever cook meat in the crockpot on high. Always use low for 8 to 10 hours. Trust me. I learned the hard way. No need to brown the meat if you don't want to. Allrecipes.com. Marie's East Slow Cooker Pot Roast.

Source(s): allrecipes.com and trial and error method.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is one of my (and my boyfriend's) favorite crock pot recipes. Basically you get a cut of beef for roasting, but not the kind that is pre-wrapped. Just a large piece of beef. You can get whatever size you want depending on the size of your pot and how many people you're feeding or whatever. I usually go for a nice piece since that is pretty much the only thing you need to buy for the recipe. Put it in the pot along with 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of soy sauce. Throw in a teaspoon each of dried rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder. Sprinkle in a little pepper and put the lid on. Let it cook for 6-8 hours on high. When its done you have amazingly tender beef. You can eat it straight up, or pull it apart with a fork for sandwiches. You can save scraps and broth as the base for a vegetable beef soup the next night, too!

• M.H.
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Buy a cornbeef brisket now. Lots of stores have them on sale now since they stocked up for St. Patty's day. Just get a head of cabbage (also very inexpensive).

Put the cornbeef in the crock pot. Add 2 cups of water and the seasoning packet that comes with the brisket. You can add carrots too, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Cut the cabbage in wedges and place on top of the meat. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Makes a great meal of cabbage and cornbeef for that night. You can use leftovers for hash and/or sandwiches later on in the week.

• 1 decade ago

I'm guessing you mis-typed cook.

Crock pots are super flexible, cheaper meats are better tasting.

Browning meats will improve flavour but is not mandatory.

Start with root vegetables: potatoes, turnips, carrots, parsnips, etc.

Then add flavourings: onions, leeks, celery, garlic, etc.

Thirdly, whatever meat you prefer: beef, chicken, pork, lamb, etc.

Pour in at least a cup of liquid: bouillon, consomme, wine, water, etc.

Cook either 5-7 hours on LOW, or 3-5 hours on HIGH.

Things like canned beans, macaroni, rice, frozen veggies, etc.

can be added in the last 15-30 minutes for shorter cooking time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Soup Du Manatee

2 lbs manatee meat, cubed

2 tbsps oil

1 cup roux

1 cup onion, chopped

1 cup celery, chopped

2/3 cup bell pepper, chopped

1 lb can whole tomatoes in juice

1 lemon sliced across

1 tbsp salt

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp red pepper

1 tsp black pepper

2- inch cut basil sprigs

2 quarts water

4 tbsps parsley

Heat oil. Add roux, tomatoes and juice, onion, celery, bell peppers, lemon, seasonings and herbs. Stir well. Add water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Add parsley and simmer a few minutes more. Add dry sherry if desired when serving.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Use the leftovers in Chicken salad

Chinese Roast Chicken

6 to 8 parsley sprigs

1 celery stalk

2 2in pieces of gingerroot, peeled

4-5 pound roasting chicken

I tbsp soy sauce

2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder

Put trivet or steamer basket in slowcooker,with parsley, celery, gingerroot and green onions inside cavity of chicken. Tie the legs together with string. In a cup, mix soy sauce and Chinese five-spice into a paste. Spread mixture over chicken; put chicken neck down on trivet. Cover with lid and cook on low for to 6 hours. Discard vegetables from inside chicken. Slice chicken to serve.

• 1 decade ago

Easy Dinner Recipes - Chicken Spaghetti

Found online

Prep: 10 minutes

Cook: 45 minutes

Cheap Cooking Ingredients:

• 1 chicken boiled and de-boned (I have also used a pkg. of legs or thighs)

• 1 can cream of chicken soup

• 1 can rotel

• 1 10 oz. pkg. of spaghetti noodles

• 10 oz. velvetta cheese

Easy Dinners Directions:

1. Boil and de-bone chicken.

2. Boil spaghetti noodles (use chicken broth if you have it for better flavor)

3. Cut velvetta into chunks, mix with 2 tbsp. of margarine and let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.

4. Mix cream of chicken soup and rotel in baking dish, add chicken and spaghetti then mix in cheese.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Meal Assembly:

Serves 4 - Dish up a side of buttered green beans and slices peaches for a quick easy healthy meal!!

Tip: Add ¼ cup of milk if mixture is dry after baking.

Tip: Double the batch for a freeze ahead meal next week!

Want to try some easy dinner recipes with ground beef? Try This: A Great Recipe For Meatloaf

[ad#ad-5-1]

Similar Posts:

Quick Chicken Broccoli Casserole For Dinner

A Classic Campbell’s Easy Freezer One Dish Meal

Easy Last Minute Dinner Recipe

Chicken and Rice Bake

Super Cheap Family Meals Kids Love

Share and Enjoy:

November 29th, 2008 | Tags: chicken, dinner, easy, meal preparation, pasta, quick and easy dinner recipes | Category: Dinner Recipes | Leave a comment

« Cheap Quick Rice Meals Easy Ground Beef Casserole »

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

BEEF STEW

Pre-cooking the beef does add flavor, but it’s a step that can be skipped. Feel free to substitute any veggies you like or use frozen instead of fresh.

1 lb. lean stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes

1 tbsp. all-purpose flour

2 tsp. vegetable oil

2 c. cubed potatoes

2 c. cubed carrots

1 c. sliced onions

1 c. peas

3 c. boiling water

4 beef bouillon cubes or sachets

6 tbsp. red wine vinegar

6 tbsp. ketchup

8 tsp. prepared mustard

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 tbsp. all-purpose flour

3 tbsp. cold water

Toss beef cubes with flour, set aside. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add beef and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned on all sides. Place in slow cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, peas and onions.

In a medium bowl, blend together water bouillon, vinegar, ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Add to slow cooker, sir gently. Cook, covered, on low for 9 hours.

Whisk together flour and water. Add flour mixture to stew; stir gently to blend. Increase heat to high; cook, covered, for 15 minutes until thickened.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Make nachos.

Cook the cheese in the crock pot, add spices. Buy chips.

Cheap and delicious meal that'll last!

Hope I Helped!

• 1 decade ago

i just throw in a roast still frozen beef or pork some times both add a can of beef or chicken broth add butter and garlic cook all night then make sandwiches or /and potatoes carrot's and 2 envelope of mushroon gravy or a bag of stir fry on top of minute rice or a frozen bag of peppers and add onions and if any left add bbq sauce

Source(s): mom of 5
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.