Andres asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Brushing with Baking soda really whiten teeth?

Ive been drinking coffee lately and my teeth became a bit yellow i read that baking soda might make it white again I want to know if this is true and is there any side effects.

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda if that makes a difference.

• b
    Best Answer

I've been doing this for three weeks now and you can already see the results. I simply put a bit of baking soda (well enough that it'll cover the toothpaste) on the toothbrush and brush. I do this twice a day. Sometimes three but for the most part WITH baking soda, twice.

It does not ruin your enamel or stuff like that. Both my orthodontist and dentist suggested I do this! (When I asked if I could make my teeth whiter. Yknow how you have to wait a bit after you get you braces off? This is what they suggested.)

yes, its known to whiten teeth due to the abrasiveness. In fact, arm and hammer makes toothpaste now WITH baking soda added. So do many other toothpaste manufacturers.

If you are using straight baking soda, you definitely don't want to use it with an electric toothbrush, or brush for too hard or too long of a time period.

Baking soda is an option. In making a decision you should consider the level of discoloration of your teeth. Care must be exercised to prevent damage to the teeth enamel. You can compare effectiveness and cost of at-home methods here: http://the-dental-makeover.com/whiten-teeth-to-pro...

• Nikki

Yeah but at such strong amounts and not less concentrated like it is in toothpaste, you have the risk of really damaging your teeth & eating away all the enamel on them -- i'd play it safe & get toothpaste WITH arm & hammer baking soda for more whitening results if I were you ;)

yes it does whiten your teeth. I think crest has a toothpaste with baking soda. you should get that.

yess it does help alot my mom drinks coffe alot and her teeth are on the verge of gross but she started to brush with arm and hamer backing soda and her teeth are white angain.

the only sideeffect would be that it tasetes nasty

yes

yes! It works!