Chi Guy asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Under which president did the Republican party become the party of hypocricy, Nixon or Reagan?

I lean more toward Reagan as I don't think Repubs supported him. They have made reagan a neo-deity even though every thing he did was 180 out of what Republicans claimed to represent such as morals, anti-corruption, smaller government, and fiscal responsibility.

Update:

CORRECTION:

"I lean more toward Reagan as I don't think Repubs supported NIXON"

END CORRECTION

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Bob O
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Man!! I love questions that expose Ronald Reagan for the fraud that he was.

Nixon was just a chump who got elected president. I believe that rank & file Republicans were just as disgusted with him as the rest of America.

Reagan, on the other hand set in motion the corruption, corporatism, and manipulation of people of faith that is the trademerk of the present GOP.

It amazes me that Republicans still genuflect to the memory of saint Ronald.

• 1 decade ago

There will be a lot of knee jerk responses to this, but Nixon was a more moderate conservative than Reagan. I think a fairer way to parse this question would be to ask which of these two presidents did more to damage the party, and I think it would most surely be Nixon. While history may grant him some kudos for some of the policies he initiated, his role in Watergate and the surrounding scandal, and his ultimate failure to finish his term shamed not only himself, but the entire Republican Party. I don't think it is too much of a leap to say that the GOP was salivating for their version of a JFK, especially after Nixon, and when Reagan started to gain some momentum, it was an opportunity to overshadow the egregious mistakes made under Nixon with style, if not substance. Reagan was a figurehead that lead to another figurehead, GW. His administration gave momentum and power to the likes of Lee Atwater, Roger Ailes and Karl Rove, not to mention Cheney and Rumsfeld, who collectively seemed to believe that it matters not who is the President. The "conservative agenda" can be implemented by whomever holds the office, regardless of any level of leadership ability.

• 1 decade ago

I would go with Reagan because it was with Reagan's presidency that the Republican Party began their move from fiscal to social conservatism. It was the social conservatives, disenchanted and unable to get Carter to bow to the religious coalition agenda, that flocked to the Republican Party to back Reagan. It's been downhill ever since. Here's what Goldwater though about it.

-- Goldwater vs Religious Right

http://www.liberalslikechrist.org/about/goldwater....

• 1 decade ago

Without a doubt Reagan.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

That one is too close to call. We only got a glimpse of the total corruption of their admins. If both of those guys were put under the scrutiny of the current admin, they wouldn't have been able to do the things they did. And they would have spent a considerable amount of prison time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It started withg Eisenhower and got worse with each Republican President thereafter,

• 1 decade ago

I agree

Under Reagan. The Conservative movement has ruined the USA.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ronnie....Does the contra incident ring a bell?

Did the deal with Lt. Col. Oliver North U.S.M.C. and the Ayatollah in Iran while U.S. Marines and civilians were being held hostage ring a bell?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Reagan. he was the 1st to get us in debt

• 1 decade ago

Since just about all politicians are hypocrites, I'm not sure how you can call one party or the other the "party of hypocrisy" and be intellectually honest.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.