Good fish for a 55 gallon?

Okay, so I've grown up with fish tanks and have a lot of experience with various types of cichlids, betas, and plecos. However, I want to branch out with my new tank and try something new. I can't decide what kind of fish to put in it though. I'll obviously have to do a lot of reading on whatever... show more Okay, so I've grown up with fish tanks and have a lot of experience with various types of cichlids, betas, and plecos.

However, I want to branch out with my new tank and try something new. I can't decide what kind of fish to put in it though. I'll obviously have to do a lot of reading on whatever you suggest, but do you have any suggestions?

I haven't done true salt-water tanks before, so starting one would be interesting, but I think that a 55-gallon is probably a bit too small for that.

And is it possible to put a couple of different species in? I'm used to my 120-gallon so this is a bit of a downgrade. What species go best together? (Previously I've had tanks with all cichlids and one pleco, or a smaller tank with a beta by itself)

Thank you for whatever you suggest! :D