Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Why does the United States support Israel?

Illegal occupation, war crimes, human rights violations...Why does the U.S. continue to consider Israel an ally?

30 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because we have a tradition, a bond, alot in common with Israel, we are allies, it's good to have friends in the right places, we're proud of our moral fortitude to support Israel. I could give you lots of reasons, but here is what past American Presidents have to say.

U.S. Presidents On Israel

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Isr...

John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

I will insist that the Hebrews have done more to civilize man than any other nation. (Letter from John Adams to Thomas Jefferson)

John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the United States

[I believe in the] rebuilding of Judea as an independent nation. (Letter to Major Mordecai Manuel Noah)

Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States

Not long after the Emancipation Proclamation, President Abraham Lincoln met a Canadian Christian Zionist, Henry Wentworth Monk, who expressed hope that Jews who were suffering oppression in Russia and Turkey be emancipated “by restoring them to their national home in Palestine.” Lincoln said this was “a noble dream and one shared by many Americans.” The President said his chiropodist was a Jew who “has so many times ‘put me upon my feet’ that I would have no objection to giving his countrymen ‘a leg up.’

Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States

The allied nations with the fullest concurrence of our government and people are agreed that in Palestine shall be laid the foundations of a Jewish Commonwealth. (Reaction to the Balfour Declaration)

To think that I, the son of the manse, should be able to help restore the Holy Land to its people.

Warren Harding, 29th President of the United States

It is impossible for one who has studied at all the services of the Hebrew people to avoid the faith that they will one day be restored to their historic national home and there enter on a new and yet greater phase of their contribution to the advance of humanity.

Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the United States

Coolidge expressed his “sympathy with the deep and intense longing which finds such fine expression in the Jewish National Homeland in Palestine.” The Jews themselves, of whom a considerable number were already scattered throughout the colonies, were true to the teachings of their prophets. The Jewish faith is predominantly the faith of liberty.

John F.Kennedy, 35th President of the United States

Israel was not created in order to disappear—Israel will endure and flourish. It is the child of hope and home of the brave. It can neither be broken by adversity nor demoralized by success. It carries the shield of democracy and it honors the sword of freedom.

Lyndon Johnson, 36th President of the United States

The United States and Israel share many common objectives...chief of which is the building of a better world in which every nation can develop its resources and develop them in freedom and peace.

Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the United States

America has never flinched from its commitment to the State of Israel--a commitment which remains unshakable.

George H W Bush, 41st President of the United States

The friendship, the alliance between the United States and Israel is strong and solid, built upon a foundation of shared democratic values, of shared history and heritage, that sustains the life of our two countries. The emotional bond of our people transcends politics.

Bill Clinton, 42nd President of the United States

Our relationship would never vary from its allegiance to the shared values, the shared religious heritage, the shared democratic politics which have made the relationship between the United States and Israel a special—even on occasion a wonderful—relationship.

George W Bush, 43rd President of the United States

“The alliance between our governments is unbreakable, yet the source of our friendship runs deeper than any treaty. It is grounded in the shared spirit of our people, the bonds of the Book, the ties of the soul.

Barack H Obama, 44th President of the United States

"The United States' special relationship with Israel obligates us to be helpful to them in the search for credible partners with whom they can make peace, while also supporting Israel in defending itself against enemies sworn to its destruction."

• Jennie
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

In the second World War, the major world superpowers set up governments in the Middle East. This was done because both the Axis and Allies needed resources people in the Middle East had. They were largely caught in the middle of a world at war and both sides were afraid the other would invade the Middle East first and have a huge resource advantage. Although just after the war, Israel happened to be one of the governments the U.S. set up, and it's as important today as it was then, for the same reasons. The only way the rest of the world can pull out of the Middle East and leave them alone again, is if it becomes dependent on something other than oil for energy. Even then, every country on Earth has made some powerful enemies in that part of the world, and pulling out of that region will be a slow and painful process some countries may not even view as being worth it. The Middle East also needs to be able to trade to survive, which means they will need to make peace with technologically advanced nations such as India in order to survive in a world where oil isn't worth very much and the words "global economy" actually mean something. There is always a benefit to trading with another country that does something well even if you already do it well, and some of the world's most popular programming languages came out of the Middle East, so there is hope. Until all that happens, the U.S. is going to continue supporting Israel, for the same reason every other first world country continues supporting at least one Middle Eastern nation. In a sentence, we side with them because it's in our best interest.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Because in 1913, the Talmudic Zionist Jewish Bankers not only established the illegal Federal Reserve System, but they established the illegal Federal Income Tax, and they also installed every Presidential puppet in the White House and their respective Zionist Jewish Appointees. Here are some examples beginning with William J. Clinton, and continuing with George W. Bush, and Barrack H. Obama, in full view of the treasonous Christian Clergy of America Self Gagged under the 501 (c3) Tax-Exempt Code.

http://perversionofamericabyzionistjews.blogspot.c...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Jewish lobby in the US is influential. It means money, lots of it, and votes and Israel is an ally in the Middle East. But is it really worth 20 billion a year ?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I believe that Casimir covered your question thoroughly and accurately, in about as many words that can be allotted in a Y! Answers response.

While Mirs' response may have been articulated to the extent that she wrote in full paragraphs, she still displays the same Pro-Zionist response that most educated individuals in America are brought up to believe in. I was raised this way as well, whenever there was any talk of war between the Israeli's and the Palestinians, the Jews are always presented in a positive light. I've also been bludgeoned to death during my formative general education years, being constantly reminded of how horrible the Holocaust was. Well, over 45 Million people died in WWII (26 Million Russians) so I guess we should cry a river and create a remembrance museum for every major country that was involved.

To have a better understanding of why people here think the way they do, you have to understand things from outside the American perspective, which few people from our country have. Aside from the media's influence, we can relate to Jews on a personal level since the United States has one of the highest Jew populations in the world. Therefore, we have firsthand experience to judge them by. I personally judge people by character, and in my experience I've found most of them to be fairly moderate, everyday people that are difficult to distinguish under normal scrutiny (most are white and come from middle-class/upper-class well to do families). But when you see media coverage involving the Middle East (as I feel Mirs' derives most of her knowledge on the Middle East) you get a perspective portraying almost all of them as radical, sectarian extremist who want to launch a never ending War of Terror on the United States.

While I'm not going to discount that there are a lot of Islamic Radicals over in the Middle East, the social situation is not without provocation. Living conditions there are deplorable, and some ethnicity's have been downtrodden and oppressed for decades (or centuries). I'm no Middle East scholar, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that when society is unstable, and people are oppressed, they'll turn to radical ideologies and methods in order to deal with their predicament. For all the radicals and ruthless dictators we created in South America (which in many places still exist today) you don't hear hardly anything about radical South Americans.

They hate Israel because the Israeli's stole their land, and were backed by powerful Industrialized nations in doing so. They also kill civilians indiscriminately. These are the same reason why the Vietnamese hated us. Only decades later do we realize that they were fighting for Independence and not for Communism (which was allegedly the reason for the war, although I remain skeptical that the 'real' explanation is that simple). Similarly, Middle Easterners don't exactly hate us for our lifestyles or our government (which is a Republic, or at best a Democratic-Republic) they hate us for our foreign policy of Interventionism.

While the motives for supporting Israel on to the public may seem very simple and righteous for easily persuadable people who don't back their assertions with concrete logic (more like creative speculations) the real reasons are more covert and concern ulterior motives by powerful individuals that you will never hear about in the news.

Source(s): Michael Sheuer headed the Bin Laden Unit and worked with the CIA for 23 years. Despite his extensive experience and expertise on the Middle East, he is not in favor of supporting Israel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF4_oaTIH8g&feature...
  • 7 years ago

Because we as a nation can only make it as we hold on to them God said those that bless Israel he will bless and we stand strong because we have embrace them and as soon as we let go and stop showing favor to them we have sign our own DEATH WARRANT

• 1 decade ago

These answers begin to make me wonder about some of you people...

I am not going to address the answers because that would be beyond your question but some folks really need to research the History and events regarding what they are saying because its dumbfounding how grown people can come up with this.

These are generalizations of course, but they do offer a very real aspect of our support for Israel as you ask.

I have seen pro-Israeli US supporters to fall within these categories:

1) The elite financial and industrial crowd support Israel only so far as they can make profit. They know no sovereignty or loyalty outside of profit. These people are not Republican or Democrat, Liberal or Conservative. These are the real owners of our entire system. If tommorrow no money could be made off it, Israel would be no different to than Sri Lanka.

2) The Evangelical Christian crowd supports Israel only in as so far it leads to the return of Jesus and his rule. The Bible says the land belongs to the Jews so that trumps all logic you can present to them. The Elites use this crowd over and over again as financial recruits for the extremists in Israel as well as our military endeavors.

3) The common American. His support comes from a combination of complete ignorance of history, constant Holocaust awareness, and propoganda that the Islamic militants we face are the same that Israel does. Of course, they are completely different, but he does not know that because he has never bothered to learn for himself.

In group 3 is where most academic arguments fall. These include the democracy, war on Islamic terror, being Allies, and many other flawed concepts.

Let us be real for a moment. When it comes down to it, I am sorry to say, the partnership with Israel does not bring anything good to the common American. Not one. It never has. I am still waiting for someone to prove me wrong...

First, it does not take a genius to figure out that in an age of nationalism at the end of the 19th century, allowing the foreign colonization of an area on top of a native population desperate for self-determination is only going to create conflict. That has not changed. We supported the plan blindly back then because we were arrogant, bigoted, and ignorant. Just like everyone else, it was the context of the times. What is our excuse now?

The democracy argument is awfully naive since we recognize democratic regimes at our whim, when it serves us we do, and when it does not we do not. Israel is a democracy whose entire spirit of being is based on establishing a Jewish majority using Jewish immigration onto the land. Any party that does not adhere to this general concept is not welcome, which makes it a strange democracy to me. Likewise, we do not give Egypt billions in aid to refurbish the pyramids. It goes to keep our man, Mubarak, in power. So much for promoting true democracy. In the first Iraqi vote after Saddams removal, our congress was considering not recognizing the winning party because the new Shia party did not want to recognize Israel. Finally, if Israel were such a great democracy it would have no need of a two state solution to ensure it remains a Jewish state demographically in the future.

The next argument is the war on terrorism. This is completely void of any logic as well. Israel is not a buffer preventing the Islamic fanatics from arriving on our shores. The fanatics we face are few and drive pick up trucks. They are funded by the Pakistani ISI, which takes our covert funds to arm the militants we face. Yes, we create our own enemies to ensure that those areas remain destabilized enough so our forces can be there to 'fight terrorism'. The militants are always present but never strong enough to do serious damage. It is not a coincidence. As far as Israel and our relationship in the Middle East, how does supporting Israel help moderate Arabs see us as their friends? Quite the contrary, everytime Israel attacks with an Apache, F-16, or American provided weapon it is a reminder to the Arabs that as bad as those fanatics in their own countries are, America is still not to be trusted.

One may say because of the Holocaust we have a moral duty to protect the Jews from it happening again, but according to the Zionist founders, they have always stated that the west would have to guarantee their safety in the Middle East. That was 40 years before the Holocaust. To make matters worse the whole concept of the Modern Israel was to escape persecution. Was Palestine the best place for that!? That is an Israeli problem not an American one.

Apart for the elites making money off of the perpetual war and weapons Israel buys off us (With our own tax dollars of course) I still cannot think of one positive component.

Source(s): Edit-Mirs' answer is the perfect example of what so called educated arguments for Israel are. In my opinion, they do not stand the test of logic, cause and effect, or anything close to truth.
  • 1 decade ago

Very simple, they are in the white house. Zionist have control over this county, and many others. So it we turn on them, we will see our banks close and great Job loses. Most of all American investments will just disappear with just one strict of the computer keys. This goes deep. We are in way over our heads. I really do not have a clue about how powerful this thing is. Any country that is not under their control are not their allies. And will go to war with all the counties that are controlled by them. Its all about world order. Israel is the eye.

• Joe
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Are you able to provide documentation to support your claims? Obviously, you and many others have no understanding of how much the US gets in return for its alliance with Israel.

What does the US get from its alliances from other countries in the Middle East that is doesn't get from Israel? Where is there illegal occupation? Where is the proof of human rights violations?

Where is your justification to consider Israel anything other than an ally to the US?

What has Israel ever down to hurt the US?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because USA cant take any decision without the blessing of the Zionist or the wall street bankers

• 1 decade ago

Illegal occupation, war crimes, human rights violations are all things which cannot be applied to Israel, more like ALL of the surrounding Arabic countries.

Israel is the only true Middle Eastern Ally to the united states, it is also a country which does not harbor and fund terrorist organizations, like every surrounding Arabic country.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.