Why is caviar so expensive?

I don't see why it is so expensive. It is really horrible! I now that it is rare and all, but why do people buy it if it tastes awful and it is really expensive?

Favorite Answer

I ama former chef and have used and serve many types, and the last fellow is right, for the real sturgeon caviar from Russia or Iran, the female fish have to be fully mature and loaded with eggs, they are in upwards of 100-200 pounds, and the fish is killed to get them, the meat is also used for different purposes.

It is hand packed and salted, and is hard to get now due to the pollution in the Black and Caspian seas due to the oil refinery's dumping toxic chemical in the water and killing the immature fish.

In recent years they have started to "farm" sturgeons in the US, China and here in Canada, it is native to all those country's, and produced a form of caviar, but there are many types from salmon, whitefish, trout, paddlefish from the US, tobico from flying fish much prized in Japan, but the cheap stuff at the grocery stores is lumpfish, an eel like fish from the north atlantic, and it is used also, but those types are dyed with chemical dyes to make them red or black, I even have had white caviar in France once, made from the eggs of the escargot snails, a bit different and funny looking, and you right some people are not akin to the taste, it is alot like other foods, either you like it or not.

Most Expensive Caviar

Why Is Caviar Expensive

• Angela

Caviar is made up of fish eggs, usually salmon or something more expensive. It's expensive because they have to find a way to get the fish eggs... you try milking a fish. It's no fun! But seriously they have to run special plants with the fish in special tanks to be able to obtain the eggs without damaging them and thusly making them useless. Caviar is quite tasty but I wouldn't pay $1000 for it. I'd get it online for like ten bucks, put it in a fancy dish and serve it on crackers .. the illusion that I am wealthy is acheived and I get to put my pinky up when I drink.

• Wes3 years agoReport

terrible answer... please don't comment if you don't know what you're talking about.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why is caviar so expensive?

Source(s): caviar expensive: https://tr.im/EnJNB

Why is gold so expensive? It tastes even worse.

You see, the price of a good isn't determined by how much people like the good, but by how much resources are required to produce it. It takes a lot of time and energy to recover a small amount of caviar, so, in order to turn a profit, it has to be sold at a high enough price in order to recoup the losses of the producer.

Another factor is natural resource management. In many places, the government prevents over fishing by keeping fishing permit prices sufficiently high. Caviar from natural resources is thus in limited supply, which means the price will be high if there is sufficient consumer demand.

it is one of many ancient tests of one's own wealth and manhood. Ex: the ancient tribal custom of buying diamonds: large conglomerate corporations own just about all of the diamond mines and make the useless rocks really expensive, as a test to help you impress your wife by showing how rich you are, that you can support her, and therefore prove your manhood to her.

There are foods far cheaper, tastier, and more healthier than caviars but due to the trouble someone has of getting some, (whether by corrupt corporate bastards, or simply the difficulty of obtaining some) they become expensive and exotic.

I too think caviar is nasty, but in other parts of the world, people love it (kind of like tomatoes). Caviar was once served as an appetizer in saloons of the Old West. In another time it was considered extremely valuable and only suitable to be served to royalty and the upper class.

• Jane

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awZJQ

Beluga caviar is the most expensive its almost $200 an ounce! Bring your checkbook. lol

• m4 years agoReport

2016, check book? what are you on?

It's like marmite you either like it or you don't I love both though have only had lumpfish and salmon caviar.