Amanda asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 decade ago

I have a couple of questions about the peace corps?

Ive recently talked to a woman who had joined the peace corps, and i feel as if i would like to know more.

What does it take to get into the peace corps?

How old do you have to be?

If a friend signs up to join with you, will they have the ability to be stationed in the same place you are?

what do people do when they go over to a different country?

do you get paid?

do you learn the language before leaving?

idk. there all questions that have came to mind.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

What does it take to get into the peace corps?

A skill that a host country has asked for. 95% of all PCVs have a Bachelor's at least; 11% have done graduate work. The 5% who don't have a degree have 10 - 50 years of expereince in a field a host country has asked for, like farming or small engine repair.

How old do you have to be?

18 in theory. They have taken a couple of 18-year olds who had 10 years of experience infarming and stellar leadership records in 4-H/FFA.

If a friend signs up to join with you, will they have the ability to be stationed in the same place you are?

Highly unlikely.

what do people do when they go over to a different country?

Teach, advise and organize.

do you get paid?

Sort of. You don't get rich but you don't starve. It is called a living allowance.

do you learn the language before leaving?

You do 3 months of training in the country before becoming a volunteer. PCVs headed for Latin America have to know Spanish beforehand.

The official web site is graphics-heavy but comprehensive:

http://www.peacecorps.gov

This one is great; "So you want to join the Peace Corps?"

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/peacecorps/pea...

If you are interested, you can read about my time as a PCV in Sarawak, on the island of Borneo, 1971 - 1972:

http://www.tedpack.org/pchead.html

It isn't all about my experiences. I search Y!A for the phrase "Peace Corps" every week. I have a page devoted to the questions that come up the most frequently. At the bottom of the "pchead" page is a link to the Returned PCV web ring, which has 40+ other RPCV sites.

You can Google "Peace Corps Volunteer Blog" to find sites about more current experiences.

• 3 years ago

I glided by using way of this methodology technique and an interview and no-one stated my credit checklist. inspect their cyber web website for further important factors. If this is a pupil debt you owe, a number of it would desire to be forgiven if youin case you grow to be a member of the Peace Corps. It takes a minimum of 9 months to be processed and sent someplace and this is a 2-year dedication. you will could do a touch volunteer artwork the two instructing English or farm artwork for the clarification that those are the convenience they want.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Google it for answers :}

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.