Amanda asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 decade ago

I have a couple of questions about the peace corps?

Ive recently talked to a woman who had joined the peace corps, and i feel as if i would like to know more.

What does it take to get into the peace corps?

How old do you have to be?

If a friend signs up to join with you, will they have the ability to be stationed in the same place you are?

what do people do when they go over to a different country?

do you get paid?

do you learn the language before leaving?

idk. there all questions that have came to mind.

Best Answer

A skill that a host country has asked for. 95% of all PCVs have a Bachelor's at least; 11% have done graduate work. The 5% who don't have a degree have 10 - 50 years of expereince in a field a host country has asked for, like farming or small engine repair.

How old do you have to be?

18 in theory. They have taken a couple of 18-year olds who had 10 years of experience infarming and stellar leadership records in 4-H/FFA.

Highly unlikely.

Teach, advise and organize.

do you get paid?

Sort of. You don't get rich but you don't starve. It is called a living allowance.

You do 3 months of training in the country before becoming a volunteer. PCVs headed for Latin America have to know Spanish beforehand.

The official web site is graphics-heavy but comprehensive:

http://www.peacecorps.gov

This one is great; "So you want to join the Peace Corps?"

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/peacecorps/pea...

If you are interested, you can read about my time as a PCV in Sarawak, on the island of Borneo, 1971 - 1972:

http://www.tedpack.org/pchead.html

It isn't all about my experiences. I search Y!A for the phrase "Peace Corps" every week. I have a page devoted to the questions that come up the most frequently. At the bottom of the "pchead" page is a link to the Returned PCV web ring, which has 40+ other RPCV sites.

You can Google "Peace Corps Volunteer Blog" to find sites about more current experiences.

I glided by using way of this methodology technique and an interview and no-one stated my credit checklist. inspect their cyber web website for further important factors. If this is a pupil debt you owe, a number of it would desire to be forgiven if youin case you grow to be a member of the Peace Corps. It takes a minimum of 9 months to be processed and sent someplace and this is a 2-year dedication. you will could do a touch volunteer artwork the two instructing English or farm artwork for the clarification that those are the convenience they want.

Google it for answers :}