Lv 5
* asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

Which name do you prefer: Gilbert or Lorcan?

Gilbert is a Germanic name meaning "bright pledge". The Normans introduced this name to England, where it was common during the Middle Ages. It was borne by a 12th-century British saint, the founder of the religious order known as the Gilbertines.

Lorcan is an Irish name that means "little fierce one" in Gaelic. This was the name of a 12th-century archbishop of Dublin. It is used in Ireland as an alternate to the name Laurence, and is pronounced as it is spelled - LOR-kan.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Gilbert.

I loved the "Anne of Green Gables" books when I was younger and I still associate Gilbert with Gilbert Blythe. It sounds boyish but also has a sexy charm. It's smooth, but strong too -- I'm hoping it makes a comeback soon!

• 1 decade ago

Gilbert

• 1 decade ago

Gilbert

• 1 decade ago

Gilbert

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

While I like Lorcan and find him interesting, the thought of being able to use Gil as a nick for Gilbert, makes me seem more inclined to use that. So, Gilbert gets my vote.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Gilbert reminds me of a stupid fish I once had I don't like the name at all..... I'll go with Lorcan since I've never heard the name before.

• 4Red
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I love the meaning of Lorcan but I'm not crazy about the name itself.

I think I'd have him go by Gil if the name was Gilbert

• 1 decade ago

I like Gilbert better.

Lorcan sounds like the name of a villain in a cartoon.

• 1 decade ago

Lorcan

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

gilbert very intresting names you have style iv never herd of lorcan although i prefer girlber i like the meanin for lorcan

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.