Why didn't Obama answer Jay Leno question?

MR. LENO:

Well, here's something that kind of scared me. Today they passed this thing that says we're going to tax 90 percent of these bonuses. And the part that scares me is, I mean, you're a good guy –- if the government decides they don't like a guy, all of a sudden, hey, we’re going to tax you and then, boom, and it passes. I mean, that seems a little scary as a taxpayer, they can just decide –- you want to take a break and answer that when we come back? Okay, hold that answer.

MR. OBAMA: I will. I've got a good answer, too. (Applause.)

MR. LENO: Welcome back. We are talking with President Barack Obama.

Before the break I mentioned that they had just passed this new bill which will tax them 90 percent -- and I said it was frightening to me as an American that Congress, whoever, could decide, I don't like that group, let's pass a law and tax them at 90 percent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/us/politics/20ob...

Read Obama answer at the end of page 2

Can some one please, let me know how his answer addressed Leno question...

Favorite Answer

He didn't answer Mr. Leno's concern at all. I agree this is a dangerous president to set it is clearly unconstitutional but few politicians on the national level care about the U.S. Constitution anymore anyhow. I find it odd that some people are more upset at AIG employees than are upset at the members of Congress who voted for the Bailout Bill to begin with. If no taxpayer money went into AIG it wouldn't be a big deal anyway. I seriously doubt more than a handful of the congressvermin who voted for the bailout bill actually read it.

Obama was saying that our tax system has become too regressive and we need to restore some of the progressivity it had before. So when someone gets a multi-million dollar bonus, even though he did a crappy job and ran his corporation into the ground, we ought to put a higher tax on that bonus.

A lot of issues are just too complicated to explain in 15 seconds, as you have to do on a late-night talk show. But Obama has talked about the bonuses before. What he's said is basically that it's not up to him what happens with the bonuses anyway, it's up to Congress. They will hammer out a bill and Obama will sign it if he likes it and send it back if he doesn't. In the meanwhile he has more pressing items to attend to, things that are -his- responsibility.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with taxing income at 90% over, say, a million dollars a year. I don't really think anyone is really worth more than a million a year.

• tansey

He turns out to help a mob rule mentality in Congress, alternatively of aiding the constitutional legislation. Very hypocritical for a constitutional legislation professor. The public is outraged, so Congress simply desires to leap at the bandwagon. Any wagers he'll signal the invoice if it passes Congress? I guess he'll, regardless of how fallacious and unconstitutional it's.

He's saying he agrees with Leno. He understands the frustration people feel, but believes this tax bill is not the way to address the problem. He feels that we need to start being proactive, rather than clean up the mess after the fact. In the next paragraph, he starts to explain how to do that.

I agree that he was responding in a rather guarded way. Clearly he doesn't want to make it appear that he's excusing the behavior of AIG, nor does he want to insult members of congress who feel strongly about this bill. A president has to choose his words carefully.

in a way it addresses it... talking about how he wants to return to 90 tax levels, which would imply he doesn't expect this to occur except in very rare situations...

but Republicans have been slamming him every time he makes any declarative statements and has to go back on them in understandable situations... so he's probably just speaking in more vague overtones...

Remember Bush HW... "no new taxes"... and then when he had no choice?

Jay's question was dangerous in these financial times... and Obama knew it...

Obama can't answer direct questions that involve knowledge of tax law or economics.

I wasnt there to help him. Dont be too tough on the big guy its hard for him without me.

CLOWN

these CORP HOES SHOULD BE IN JAIL

ha ha h ah ha hahahah

harold and kumar is the best movie