How many college students are there in Los Angeles (ballpark)?

I'm trying to get a rough estimate of the total number of college students there are in the greater Los Angeles area. Some schools I would include on my list are UCLA, USC, CSUN, Pierce, CSULB, SMC...

Favorite Answer

Well, it depends on if you're only counting big name private schools, UCs, Cal States, and Community Colleges, or if you're including small, unaccredited institutions. If you include all, there are about 300,000 "colleges and universities" near LA, many of which have 2 or 3 students at a time (I was a curriculum developer for one that only granted Master's degrees in Public Administration, with an average of 5 students at a time). There's the Long Beach Bible College or the Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture colleges and things like that, but I will not count them.

I'm going to include some of the "big" schools in LA County:

UCLA

USC

Cal State LA

Cal State Long Beach

Cal State Dominguez Hills

Cal State Northridge

Cal Poly Pomona

El Camino College

Mt. San Antonio College

Mt. Saint Mary's College

Santa Monica College

Long Beach City College

Pierce College

Occidental College

LA Southwest College (I teach here)

West LA College

Loyola Marymount University

LA Harbor College

Pasadena City College

Cal Tech

I'll just stop there and low ball. Most of these schools have student populations between about 10,000 and 40,000, so let's just average it to 20,000 x 20 = 400,000. Its probably closer to 600,000 though. (According to the LA Community College District, there are 135,000 students in the Community Colleges alone, which doesn't include the bigger ones like Mt. SAC, Long Beach, and El Camino)

So, realizing I didn't even include some popular colleges like Cal Design College, Otis, Pepperdine, National, Phoenix, and Antioch I think the actual number of people in some kind of institution that can call itself a college in LA is somewhere hovering around 1 million people.

• darell

Number Of Students In Lausd

college scholars in many situations proceed to exist campus, or basically off campus. Is there a close-by this is greater inexpensive? sure, they are reported as dormitories. ON CAMPUS. And sure, you ought to use economic help for dorm costs. you won't have the skill to apply economic help for lease of off campus housing. touch the economic help workplace of your college, and that they could supply you information.

go to collegeboard.com and look up the total number of undergrad and graduate students and add them all together cuz im too lazy to do it for you.