Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Latin work check/help...?

Inter spemque metumque tenemur. Quamobrem dic nobis: quid rex noster aut boni aut mali in illo proelio passus est? Nam nobis est spes alterius, alterius metus.

My answer-

We are possessed between hope and fear. For that reason speak to us: what has our King endured in that battle either of good or of bad?

For to us one is of hope, the other of fear. (suggestions?)

Vobis erat timor nostri, sed multi nostrum vos timebant.

I know what the words mean, however I can't piece together a coherent sentence.

• Diana
    Favorite Answer

Not bad! In the second sentence, those are genitives of the whole; think of it as: "quid boni, quid mali" ("what good," what evil").

What you have is fine. It's very literal, which is okay. It could be worded more smoothly, but that'll come in time. More naturally:

"What good or evil did our king endure in that battle?"

Don't start leaving out words, though! I just want to show you that you can make sense out of those sentences that at first seem weird :-)

--

"Nam nobis est spes alterius, alterius metus."

When "alterius" appears twice like that, it often means "(the) one...(the) other." So it's something like:

"For us, there is hope for one, fear of the other."

I forget which use of the genitive that is, but "hope for peace" is "spes pacis" (not "spes paci").

(You could also say, more naturally, in English:

"We have hope for one, fear for the other.")

--

"Vobis erat timor nostri, sed multi nostrum vos timebant."

"For you, there was (used to be) fear of us, but many of us used to fear you."

(More naturally: "You used to fear us, but many of us....")

vobis = to/for you

erat = there was, there used to be

timor = fear

nostri = of us

multi = many [people] -- (nominative plural)

nostrum = of us -- (genitive plural)

"nos" and "vos" pronouns are tricky because they're similar enough to the adjectives to be confusing!

http://bccadets.org/Latin/Telfair/chap%2011a.htm

(Listen to the first post. He's a wiz at Latin!)

That's pretty good - "We are being gripped between hope and fear. On this account, tell us - what has happened to our king in this battle, whether good or bad? Because we have hope of one and of one, fear."

Dative + est can often be translated with "have" in English. "canis mihi est" - "I have a dog."

That last construction "spes alterius, alterius metus" is something called chiasmus, where you cross the order of parallel phrases.