Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

What does the phrase "mussolini made the trains run on time" mean?

do not say it means he made the trains run on time, thats not the answer.

Favorite Answer

it was propaganda / urban myth.

the actual story is thus:

In 1922, to the dismay of the average Italian, there was a General Strike in Italy. Mussolini, addressing a crowd of 40,000 Fascists in Naples declared that unless the Government put an end to it, the fascists would do it for them.

"Either the Government will be given to us" he roared " or we will seize it by marching on Rome!!" The crowd started chanting "Roma!Roma!Roma!.

Four days later, the famous March on Rome indeed began, headed by four leading Fascisti known as the Quadrumviri. Mussolini was not one of them. It took place without him goose-stepping at its head. He was back home in Milan, quaking in his jackboots. (Or as the Encyclopaedia Britannica more politely puts it 'still hoping for a political compromise')

The King, however, agreed to the fascists' demands in principle and sent a telegram to Benito saying that, if he were to catch a train to Rome (and provided he didn't wear the silly uniform) the King would appoint him Prime Minister.

Mussolini then called the Mayor of Milan and told him urgently: 'It is VITAL that my train arrives on time!!'. The Mayor called the station master in a panic who called everyone else and yelled at them, and in due course the train arrived promptly.

We can therefore say, without fear of contradiction, that Mussolini made one of the trains run on time...

Source(s): QI

Mussolini Trains

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): phrase quot mussolini trains run time quot mean: https://tr.im/ufbkX

Actually, the fascists under Hitler did - for a time - embrace a kind of efficiency...

Their iron fisted approach to governing was "efficient" in that it tolerated no dissidence, no opposition, no debate.

In a totally different fashion, they - like Mussolini - also made the trains run on time, in the Third Reich - but many of them were carrying carloads of men, women an' children to their deaths in concentration and extermination camps.

The Nazis also strived for efficiency in their extermination of all their so-called enemies...they kept fine-tuning their methods of mass murder.

Efficiency can have its dark side, as well as its virtue.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avwMs

I'm SO glad it isn't just me! I have a friend that free feeds her English Bulldog 20 cups of food per day(!!!!!) and a lunch of 3 cheese burgers via McDonalds. I gave that one up a long time ago. It ended badly. I've run into people buying Pedigree and Purina from Walmart and offered a bit of insight on what the dog was actually consuming and they thought I was being 'snarky' and 'rude'. Idiots have asked me to breed my "Pomshe" with so many different males its obnoxious. No matter how much of an emphasis on "MUTT" you place, they seem to be unaware. I don't even bother to say she's spayed- most of them don't know what it means. I now say "her vagina is broken." And walk away. As per your situation- I wouldn't have let him walk away so easy, but then again I'm a person who enjoys conflict and being correct when it comes to these things. Did you drop some medical terms on him? Thats always fun. Watching them flounder at the medical term for genetic deficiencies is usually the highlight of my day. Then tossing price tags for the genetic defects cost (if its fixable, treatable, or what you must do to maintain). Then I go to work on the dog in question. Even if I BARELY know the standard, I'd eat the dog alive. "Withers are wrong, overbite is too prominent, improper tail, improper stance, blah blah blah blah" until the person just doesn't even want to talk anymore. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I've fussed at over coming up to me when I have Max (before he was neutered) and showing me their "registered" dog. (Generally a poorly bred Aussie or Collie) and asking me to allow his stud. Stupid people make the world fun for us. You just have to make sure you hit them in the head hard enough when you're done with them that they don't get back up.

propoganda portrayed by Mussolini to fool the masses into believing that fascism was efficient.