Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What is the Tangent Universe? (Donnie Darko question)?

I've seen the I've seen the movie Donnie Darko 4 1/2 times and I think I am finally understanding things. Everything he imainged, hilusinated about, all that jazz, was his schitzophrenia. Everything he saw, noone else could, but it told him to do the things he did for a purpose. He flooded the school so they wouldn't have school and meet Gretchen, he burned down Jim Cunningham's house because the firefigters would find the secret porno room and arrest him, making his mom shaperone the trip to the talent show so his mom would be on the plane and live through the whole "universe collapsing" thing, and also that weird thing that came out of his chest brought him to the gun in his parents closet because he would later use it to shoot the ACTUAL Frank, when he appears at the very end. And also, everything he though of and imagined was about Frank because in the future, Frank was going to be the one who would run over Gretchen. So technically, he was telling the future. Also, when he Frank showed Donnie the bullet wound in his eye, that was showing the future when Donnnie shoots him. (run-on-sentence-palooza)

So, out of all of this, I finally understand most of the mocie. But the one thing is, what is the "Tangent Universe"? I know it is a gigantic part of the movie and Frank told him the the tangent universe was gonna collapse in 28 days 6 hours, 42 minutes & 12 seconds, but I have no idea if he means some paralell universe or ours. Can someone help me? Tis has been annoying me for freakin EVERRRRRR

please? thanks :D

yeah, i no the whole 28 days...thing is a count down till the unicerse collapses, but the onyl reason the engine fell of was cause the plane was sucked into some black-hole type thing and in the process, the engine fell of into his house. But I want to know why Frank said the "Tangent Univers" and not just "the Universe"? I dont know if heresa difference, is it some parelell universe or is it ours?!!??! RAWR! im soo confused!!!!

*there's a ^^^^^

Favorite Answer

Tangent universe pertains to the alternate time line that is created when the Engine falls in Donnie's room and he is not there. Imagine a straight horizontal line. This is the normal time line or universe. Pick a point on this line and draw a second line on a 45 degree angle from the first. This is the second time line or Tangent Universe which exists from that moment on. The longer the lines get the further they move away from each other. Theoretically as the two time lines or universes continue to grow further apart each one becomes unstable and ultimately both will be destroyed. By rewinding events back to the moment of impact of the engine and correcting the fact that he was not killed, Donnie saves the regular Universe and the so-called Tangent Universe.

• So, in other words yes. Yes it is a parallel universe, which was created when the artifact fell into his room without him there.This caused an anomalous event in the original timeline, in which, he was supposed to be killed, rupturing the space/time continuum thus creating the alternate timeline.

• rhynes

Tangent Universe

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I've seen the I've seen the movie Donnie Darko 4 1/2 times and I think I am finally understanding things. Everything he imainged, hilusinated about, all that jazz, was his schitzophrenia. Everything he saw, noone else could, but it told him to do the things he did for a purpose. He flooded...

Source(s): tangent universe donnie darko question: https://biturl.im/ViZYO

I am a huge fan of the movie. it is a thinker though. not sure if this is what you are looking for but 28 days 6 hours, 42 minutes & 12 seconds was the countdown untill the engine lost from the moms plane crashes in to the house and donnie died. its donnies own universe.

He was given a choice to stay in the bed or get out and let everything that happened happen again.

Actually he stuck in a loop. at the first time when gretchen was died.he somehow traveled back in time to save her.but he is doing the same things what he did first time.At first time everything happened naturally .but in second time he is doing the same thing as instructed by frank(based in his first time experience..frank is his first time experience ) leading to the same accident.but during the third time based on his second time experience he knows in order to save her he has to sacrifice himself .thats how he knows where to find gun and everything.