Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

What is the best convertible carseat?

I need to buy a convertible car seat for my son who recently grew out of his travel system carseat. He is 9 months and 22 pounds, and will soon be able to face forward. What is the best convertible carseat and/or highest rated?

Favorite Answer

I have the Britax Boulevard CS which I REALLY like and so does my son. All the Britax brands are highly rated...but they are expensive.

In fact, all car seats have to meet minimum safety standards....some do include side impact protection which is not federally mandated.

Bottom line: buy the seat that will fit BEST in your car, your child will be comfortable in, and that you will use properly...some are much harder to install and adjust than others.

This website is wonderful about car seats:

http://www.car-safety.org/

It gives recommendations for seats, a link to a database showing which seats fit best in which cars, videos how to install car seats, FAQs etc...

• Jayne

It is rare to find the car seats with the bars now. Some studies claim that it could actually hurt a child more, causing them to fling against the bar at the same speed the car was traveling. It would be similar to a person crashing into the dashboard of their car. Car seat standards change almost every year. My sister had a baby 9 years ago and when I had my son in late May, she wasn't familiar with the 5 point harness system because that wasn't what they had used then. However, I trust the 5 point harness system. I just recently purchased two convertible car seats online, one from Walmart and another one from Baby Surplus, which is the Ebay version of Albee Baby. They have a car seat known as the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Convertible Car Seat. It is made by Britax (perhaps the most cherished and trusted name in convertible car seats) but is half the price. I spent about $130 on it. Both of the car seats I ordered do not have a bar.

We have a Britax Marathon for our son and started using it when he was 9 months old. It was a little on the expensive side, but the safety ratings are great and I figure it's worth it. Some of the things I like about the Marathon are that it's easy to install and clean, it reclines, and it has good head support on the sides (because my sons head always flops over while he's sleeping). Plus, it goes up to like 60 pounds, so he'll be able to use it until he doesn't need a seat anymore. Another option would be to go on the Babies R Us website and check out the ratings for convertible seats. There, you can look at all the brands and even narrow it down to look in a certain price range. I hope that helps!

I prefer Britax for their quality and safety, which you can't put a price on. Also, many safety regulators and even the AAP are beginning to say that 35 lbs rear facing is best, that 20 lbs/1 year is just when the chance of injury goes down the most. On Britax: "They exceed US crash test standards and issue recalls promptly, before any children have been injured. There are other manufacturers who have refused to issue recalls even after multiple death and injury lawsuits regarding faulty design of their seats—that says a lot about the integrity of a company. But manufacturers have come a long way in the past few years and good car seats that accommodate children over 40 pounds in a 5 point harness are available and affordable. All convertible seats rear face for 30 to 35 pounds. You no longer need to spend $300 or more to keep your kids safer! The best car seat is the one that fits your car, fits your child, fits your budget and that you will use correctly every single trip."

When I was researching infant car seats (before my son was born), i also looked at convertible car seats.

Looked at the consumer reports, safety ratings, and read reviews from other parents regarding their experiences. I chose the Chicco Keyfit 30 for the infant car seat and will be purchasing the Britax Marathon when my son can no longer fit the chicco. Both come highly recommended and have exceptional safety ratings.

Britax seats are highy rated, but also highly expensive. So if you're willing to pay $200-$300 for a car seat then that's what you'll want to get.

We have an Evenflo Titan Elite(it was around $100) and it's working well for us. Our son will be one in a couple of weeks but I am planning on keeping him rear facing as long as possible(35 lbs. in this one is the limit).

Britax and Graco have some very good convertible car seats. If Britax is a bit too expensive, then maybe consider Evenflo.

Just take a look at the top rated seats, read the reviews, and decide for yourself.

• We have the Cosco Alpha Omega Elite. It's easy to use, looks nice, and claims to be very safe. Fortunately, we haven't had to test the safety (aka an accident). It can be used as a rear-facing infant seat, a forward-facing car seat, and a booster. I think the weight limit for rear-facing is 30 lbs or so, forward-facing up to 40 lbs, and a booster up to 100 lbs. I may be a little off on the weights, so you may want to check. My son is 43 lbs and we're still using it as a car seat, as the straps still fit. My son hasn't complained once and he's been in it since he was about 10 months old (r-facing) and he's 3 1/2 now. We paid about $180 at Target. Good luck!

Source(s): mommy of one and one on the way!

There are some reviews on http://www.momsbabybargains.com. Good resource. My girl is still in her Chicco Keyfit 30 travel system but I have an Evenflo convertible ready for when she grows out of the Chicco. I've heard good things about the Britix as well.

Honestly they are all pretty much the same, they have to reach saftey requirements otherwise they aren't allowed to be sold, so the price differenceis usually to do with comfort, material or how well known th brand is etc...