Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 decade ago

How to change table collation in phpMyAdmin?

Hello @ all, please help me, I am a Newbe, I have created an account at my US web host and then I installed Wordpress through Fantastico. Then I have installed and activated the plug-in Language Switcher. I cannot publish posts in Russian or Korean language, they are all displayed as ????. It's because of the table collation that is set. It currently is set to latin1_swedish_ci. If I login to phpmyadmin of the cpanel account, then look at the wordpress database and specifically the collation of the tables, I see this. Solution shall be this answer: "If select all the tables then do operations you can change this to the character set you need which is probably a UTF 8 one of some kind. " I don't know what exactly I have to do and what I have to change and where. Do I have to change

latin1_swedish_ci

into

utf8_general_ci

if I want to publish Russian and Korean text on my Wordpress website? What exactly do I need to do? Please answer like you do to a complete dumb person with all steps. Thank you so much! I need you guys!

Favorite Answer

It's a bit tedious, but if you're using phpMyAdmin, follow these steps:

1. Locate your database on the left frame, and click it. Your database information should now appear on the main (right) frame, and the left frame should change to a list of all the tables.

2. Click on a table on the left frame. This time, the table's information should appear in the main frame with a list of the fields/columns. If not, click the "Structure" tab on the main frame.

3. Click the "Check All" below the list of fields, and all the fields on the table should now be marked.

4. Click the "Change" icon, the one that looks like a pencil at the right of `With Selected`.

5. You will now be presented with a form which allows you to modify the selected fields. What you're interested in is the "Collation" row. Change each collation to utf_general_ci (only for those with an existing collation already). Press save once done.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 for each of your tables.

This is using phpMyAdmin 3.1.1, by the way.