Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

What's the fastest serve ever done by a female professional tennis player?

Who was it?

Favorite Answer

Supposedly, it's said that Brenda Schultz McCarthy has the fastest at 130 mph, but that was in a qualifying match. It is Venus Williams who holds the fastest serve in a main draw match at 130MPH, which came at Zurich on a hard court, in 2008. Serena holds the 2nd fastest serve in a main draw at 129 MPH, which came last year at Charleston on clay.

• Venus Hit Fastest Serve in Women's Tennis

May 30, 2007 - 4:30pm

PARIS - Venus Williams hit the fastest recorded serve in a women's tour main-draw match, reaching 128 mph at the French Open on Wednesday.

Brenda Schultz-McCarthy hit a serve at 130 mph during qualifying for the Cincinnati tournament last year, and the WTA said Wednesday it considers that to be the fastest serve in women's tennis history.

Serving at 4-1, 30-love in the second set of her second-round match against Ashley Harkleroad, Venus Williams smacked the record-breaking shot. Harkleroad actually got her racket on the ball, making it a service winner rather than an ace.

Williams noticed the readout of 206 kph - which translates to 128 mph - on the court's radar meter and let out a laugh, cracking her concentration.

"I loved it," she said. "I just lost a bit of focus there, for sure."

Williams wound up winning 6-1, 7-6 (8).

"When I was younger, I was always trying to serve harder and harder, and now I'm not trying to serve hard. It comes hard," she said. "So it was unexpected."

Source(s): (Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

This is arguable. Brenda Schultz McCarthy has indeed made the fastest serve. But since it didn't happen in the main draw of WTA competition, it was disregarded as the best by some. If she wasn't the official one, then I guess it would be Venus Williams and Anna Lena-Groenefeld - both made a huge 129 mph (207.6 km/h) serve last year in US Open (if I'm not mistaken by my memory)

brenda schults mccarthy in a qualifying match at 130mph, but since venus hit her 130mph serve at zurich in a main draw match it's venus that hit the fastest serve by a woman.