Why does everyone hate acrylic yarn?

are there reasons for it?? can i make a perfect sweater with it? i'd love to get some of those quality wool ones but they are far beyond my budget... is red heart yarn good?? (that's what im thinking of using!)

Update:

will it be ok to knit my dog a sweater out of red heart acrylic yarn???

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Miz T
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It's not *acrylic* per se that I avoid, it's cheap yarns. They tend to be stiff and scratchy.

You mention Red Heart, which is a brand that has a number of yarns it its line and has "sister" lines (TLC, Moda Dea). There are several yarns in those lines that I have used and that I like, but Red Heart Super Saver is not one of them. I've found that the cheap worsteds don't work up to suit me, don't feel good while I'm working them, and don't wash out soft enough to suit me. They do wear like iron, though, so if you're, say, crocheting a heavy mat to stand on while you're cooking or washing dishes, Red Heart Super Saver might be a good choice for that. One other caveat: If you leave a skein of Red Heart Super Saver in your stash for a couple of years, it will get harder and harder and harder. Ask me how I know this.

My favorite inexpensive worsted-weight yarn is Plymouth Encore. It comes in a huge array of colors and is widely available at yarn shops or on line. It retails for about $5.50 or less for a 100-gm/200 yd ball. It's 75 percent acrylic and 25 percent wool, so it has many of the good characteristics of both: machine washable and dryable (I dry socks in the dryer but hang sweaters or lay them flat) from the acrylic, warmth and loft from the wool. If you're making a garment, I recommend you give it a try. You can make a child's sweater from 3 balls and determine how you feel about it for an investment of around $15 or a pair of warm "boot" socks for $10.

My absolute favorite yarn to work with is Lopi. However, I live in a part of the U.S. where we do not have enough cold weather to justify using Icelandic yarn. I get my Lopi "fix" by knitting for Warm Woolies and other charity groups that need warm items donated.

Personally, I find buying cheap yarn for everything a false economy, partially because it decreases my pleasure in knitting or crocheting and partially because the life of the finished product is often shorter. But matching the yarn to the purpose will help even that out.

Hope this discussion helped you decide.

Edit: On the dog sweater: without seeing the pattern, it would be difficult to say. However, when you said "dog sweater," I thought of TLC Heathers. Personally, I prefer the colors and the fabric; your mileage may vary.

• 3 years ago

100 Acrylic Yarn

• 4 years ago

I hate red heart super saver as it feels cheap and scratchy, has knots in the skeins, and splits apart easily. That said, I m allergic to any yarn with wool in it at all, so I mostly use acrylic or other man made fibers. But there are much better ones than red heart! I even have some bamboo yarn that I got on sale which is great! I can t say I have any one favorite yarn brand or style though, I just pick whatever yarn I happen to like the best.

• 1 decade ago

I use Red Heart almost exclusively. Unless I find a really good deal on other brands.

Red Heart Super Saver (what Walmart carries) is the cheapest and I find best for things like blankets, afgans...etc. (some skeins I have found have rough spots that would be itchy against the skin)

Red Heart TLC is a softer yarn (still an acrylic and fairly reasonably priced, less than $1 more than super saver) and comes in a lot more color choices.

Carron Simply soft (not sure if Walmart still has it) is another inexpensive brand I use on occasion.

Give it a try. At the least you will be learning how to make the sweater. And if it's too rough you can always rip it out and make a blanket out of the yarn and save $$ for the more expensive stuff. Have fun.....

Edit to add: I think a dog sweater out of Red Heart would be a great start. Just my opinion. Again Have Fun....

Source(s): Experience. And a tight budget. I've also been known to pick up an old afgan at a 2nd hand shop and re-purpose the yarn (rip it out and use it for something else :)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Everyone hates cheap acrylic yarn because it doesn't always lay well as a fabric and it can be scratchy and uncomfortable to wear. There are some usable acrylic yarns in the world, but Red Heart is not usually something you would want to make a sweater out of.

When you spend all of the time and effort it takes to make a sweater, usually you want to use a material that will produce nicer results than what you could buy in a store. It's no fun to spend 20+ hours making a sweater when it ends up being scratchy or not draping comfortably on you. If you wanted that from a sweater, you'd just buy a cheap one at Wal-mart.

However there are lots of uses for cheap acrylic yarn. I use a LOT of yarn to make amigurumi (stuffed animals/dolls). The yarn makes a nice stiff fabric that allows for awesome shaping on toys. You can also use the yarn for things that need to be tough or inexpensive like washcloths, potholders, slippers, etc.

I also love using acrylic yarn underneath a more fancy, lightweight yarn to make a thicker fabric without using skien after skien of of expensive yarn. For example, I fell in love with a black fuzzy yarn and wanted to make a scarf. But the yarn wasn't thick enough to make a thick scarf working with only one strand of yarn. Rather than use two strands of this yarn, I used one and worked it with a matching cheap acrylic. All you feel is the soft fuzzy yarn, and I have a scarf that's more windproof than my hoodie for half the price.

So acrylic yarn has its uses. It's just not the best material for something you want to wear often and have it look great like a sweater.

• 1 decade ago

I think that a reason that people hate acrylic is because of personal reasons, like some people feel that acrylic may be a little stiff to them, or they perfer to use natural fibers like wool.

Im in the same boat with you, i cant use wool because i cant afford it. The number one yarn that i use is Red Heart Super Saver yarn at about $2.17 for 364 yards a piece.

I have been using Red Heart yarn for sweaters and such for 4 years straight and never had a problem with stiffness or itchyness.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why does everyone hate acrylic yarn?

are there reasons for it?? can i make a perfect sweater with it? i'd love to get some of those quality wool ones but they are far beyond my budget... is red heart yarn good?? (that's what im thinking of using!)

Source(s): hate acrylic yarn: https://tr.im/muyuy
  • Damsel
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I use acrylic and that does not mean my projects are substandard. (I use cotton sometimes too, but it does shrink.) I tend to stay away from wool and other expensive yarns because of the cost, ease of use and most notably because I crochet a lot for charity and people can have allergies to wool. One of the reasons people like wool is because it's warmer. The downside of wool is that it can felt and shrink in the washer if washed on a hot cycle.

A lot of people use acrylic, so don't let that fool you. Red Heart softens up in the wash, so you can wash it when you are finished and it should be plenty soft for you to use as a sweater.

It is all just a matter of preference. Yes, I spend a lot of time making my projects, but I also have to keep in mind who is going to use them. Acrylic holds up just fine.

• 1 decade ago

Since my wife uses the stuff, I guess I am qualified to say that if you are making stuff that doesn't go next to the skin - like bulky sweaters worn over indoor clothing and lap robes or afghans - then you don't need the soft cuddly feel of finer yarns that feel great as a replacement for a blouse. Whether acrylic is best for a hat or balaclava will depend on how they are worn and what the user expects. Red Heart is most of what she uses as do most of the people in her knitting group.

• M S
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

If I'm going to invest my time in a project, I want to use a yarn that will justify the value of my time.

I was feeling guilty over spending money on my yarn hobbies when my spouse asked me to pick up an order of materials for *his* hobby and handed me a large sum of cash. On inquiring, I discovered that he is spending significantly more on his hobbies than I am on mine, and two of his require hugely expensive equipment. Even the most expensive set of precision interchangeable circular needles doesn't come *close* to being as expensive as the motorcycle he is rebuilding.

I suggest that you buy a few skeins of moderately priced or expensive "good" yarn and knit a scarf with each. Try Debbie Bliss yarns for the feel and Noro or Nashua yarns for the colors. Then compare the experience with knitting with a Red Heart yarn and make your own decision.

Fairly good sources of good yarn without breaking the budget: http://www.smileysyarns.com/

http://yarnsale.herrschners.com/depts/id-3606__tab...

Or try the bargain bin at the yarn shop. When there's only one or two balls left in a dye lot, some shops reduce the price by half.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.