Walmart Text Threats? Gang initiation planning to shoot 3 women?

A horrible gang initiation threat is being seen all over cell phones.

the text message indicated three women will be shot at a local Walmart as part of a gang initiation on Wednesday, March 18, 2009. which is today.

I know, I know. its not true.

CAN the person who originated this text be prosecuted? is it even possible to track that??

got a message saying "dont go to walmart tonight. gang initiation. they are gonna Shoot 3 women at a local walmart."

someone is just playing a sick joke!!! if it was true, why are ppl getting the message all over the country?? i live in Arizona. i have a cousin that lives in Boston and she got a similar text message. also they are reportings in Chicago, Austin and mississippi.

Police say its a Urban Legend and not to worry. but as always, be aware of your surroundings

Favorite Answer

I figured that it wasn't true since it was sent by someone that I don't have listed as a contact. I got mine five minutes ago, but I don't believe it. and just came online to see if there were any news flashes regarding 3 women being shot at walmart; there weren't. Some people seriously need to get lives. What loser spends all their time sending stupid, false texts like that?

I should add that I live in southern California. It's fake. And if it weren't, police have the resources that would have allowed them to trace the source; at least I would think so considering that virtually every little conversation and text - regardless of deletion - is recorded. As far as how accessable those recordings are, I don't know. This person can be prosecuted if tracked. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure this would be a text violating the "clear and present danger" ruling associated with Schneck v. US. The example I know of is, for instance, shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater can be restricted.

Plus: yours said the 18th, mine said it was to happen tonight, the 19th. They made the exact walmart uncertain just to allow the "panic" to be as widespread as possible. In addition, mine says that the threat was "confirmed on tv". Which it wasn't. The TEXTS were confirmed, but the threat itself was not.

People who tell you not to worry...don't listen. There is no doubt that the start of these things is an urban legend, or a hoax. However, the more texts that get sent out with this information, the more crazy people receive them......and those same crazy people are the ones who would do something like this just to give the hoax/texts some credibility. Think about it - it just gives some nut a 'good idea'. I was at WalMart tonight, because I was not worried. HOWEVER - just to be cautious, there were three police cars parked around the lot. Imagine that.

Okay So Yeah I Got The Text Too.

I Live In H-Town [Houston For The Clueless People]

Ignore The Text. Yes, You Have To Be AWARE/CAUTIOUS With Things Like That. But You Must Be That Way Everyday. If There Really Was A Gang Initiation Do You Think They Would Really Be Dumb Enough To Let It Slip Out??

Idk Wat Gang Its Said To Be Doing This But Thats Not Even How U Get Initiated Into Gangs.

Source(s): Dad Is HPD Boyfriend Is Bounty Hunter [Blood]

I received a couple texts about this as well... Its sad that someone could call wolf like this.. ruins it if something is indeed wrong when a tip off or a warning is given, With all the school shootings,and church shootings. it is horrible that people joke about stuff like this.. I pray it is a joke, but how horrible.. this also could put ideas in peoples heads as well....

I live in Ilinois and they are circling through Rockford, Belvidere and Chicago.. Even tho this may be a prank, it still makes me weary to go to Wal-Mart..

One of the texts I received- Do not go to any walmart tonight. Gang initiation to shoot 3 women tonight. Not sure which Walmart. Also Confirmed on Tv. Fwd to All Girls....

Not calling you a liar or anything... but I live in Rockford Illinois (Where the gang initiation threats are) And it is true! A family member of mine is a local detective and they have had many meetings about this situation and also its has been on the news. The local police department is saying that the shots are to be this weekend. They over heard Rockford jail members talking to a visitor, who was a member of a gang, about the shots that are to soon be made. The police are deeply encouraging Walmart to take serious precautions.

Its going around Hawaii now. I was in the middle of a lecture when I got three of these text messages. Crazy. I guess I won't be going to Wal-Mart anytime soon?

* I also noticed that this type of threat is occurring EVERYWHERE in the U.S. Coincidence or not? Can unified gang members really be initiating people to kill women all over the country? Or could this be a possible prank hosted by our mentionable cell phone companies? Kinda makes sense as people all over the nation are sending numerous amounts of text messages, some to their entire contacts list. How strange..

My sister and I received it as well, here in Wichita Kansas. The following was taken from a local news website. I think it was some bored employee who wanted some excitement!

Police: Text Message Warning Of Gang Shooting Is A Hoax Save Email Print

Reporter: KAKE News

Email Address: news@kake.com

12 comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A | A | A March 19

If you've received or heard of a text message warning of a gang initiation shooting, police have a message for you--it's a hoax.

Several people in the Wichita area have received the message warning of a shooting outside a department store.

Wichita Police released a statement on the text messages today. "The Wichita Police Department is asking local media to assist in dispelling a rumor of a pending gang initiation at a local Wal-Mart store this evening. According to text messages and emails being circulated today, gang members will commit one or more homicides this evening at a local Wal-Mart store. This rumor is FALSE."

Local law enforcement agencies throughout the country have reported receiving calls about the text message but they do not believe it is a credible threat.

Authorities believe the texts stem from a long-standing Internet urban legend that began as an e-mail in Memphis, Tenn., in July 2005. For more on that urban legend, click on the link below.

Source(s): www.kake.com

same here my sister recieved a email and it stated that the police recieved a tip that it was going to happen and i also recieved it thru a text message didn't really want to take any chances so i fwd it to everyone i know here it the first message that my sister recieved thru email

We just received notice that the Caddo Sheriff’s dept received a tip that a gang initiation was planned for this evening at an area Wal Mart. The exact Wal Mart location is not known. The initiation supposedly includes the shooting of three women. Gayla personally contacted the Caddo Sheriff’s dept. who verified this information and advised that our citizens use extreme caution.

and of course the one on my phone is almost the same thing..

I am in the Shreveport - Bossier area od Louisiana..

It would be good if they can prosecute someone, but I think it would be very hard to find the person responsible for starting this.

I live in LA and I just got a text...the one I got said that three women would be shot, there was nothing about a woman and a child or a senior citizen. I didn't forward it though, I thought I'd google the info first and I'm glad I came across this.

People it is a rumor. However, you should always be safe.

Police say a text rumor is spreading across the southeast about gang violence, and so far it's just that--a rumor.

Jacksonville police say they've received number inquiries about a gang initiation. The text message says it will take place at a nationwide discount retailer, and mentions a shooting or other violent acts.

Police say they have received no credible information to any threat.

Police remind everyone they should always be aware of their surroundings and be on the lookout for anything unusual.