Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

s d
Lv 6
s d asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

I'm having a literary problem!?!? Can you help me?

Hi! I have this really big fear that one day I'll become an author and will only publish one book a year. I'm kinda having a debate in my head right now. On one side, taking a year to write a book ensures that you put the best quality forward. On the other side, though, you won't be able to contribute as much to the literary world. People like Nora Roberts (who writes seven to eight books a year) has contributed almost 200 novels to the literary world...yet, for some reason, I have a feeling those books might be rushed a bit (I can't say for sure, I've never read her). Which sounds better (and which would you do)?: Really taking your time, but only writing one a year (and therefore giving less books) or rushing a bit and writing 7-8 books a year (and therefore contributing more.)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Quality over quantity! I think that publishing one or two books a year is better than 5+ because you are obviously have more time to focus on one project. E.g. Michael Connelly, one of my favourite authors, publishes around 1 or 2 books a year and they are brilliant. It's obvious that he puts a lot of time and effort into it and they turn out to be very well written novels that you simply can't put down.

Good luck! Hope to read your book someday.

By the way, what genre do you want to write?

:)

• 1 decade ago

I would like to become a writer also. But, the best way I can answer your question is...quantity wins over quality. There are many authors in recent years who have wrote a tremendous amount of novels. That doesn't mean they were all the best. Yes, some of them may be rushed, I agree. But some authors ARE good at writing great novels in a small length of time. Stephen King has wrote many novels since the '70s!, because he's good at bringing new material up in a small amount of time. But DON'T judge yourself if you can't get 20 books out a year. There are even some authors who are known for just ONE book, which are extremely popular today. So pace yourself! And do what you feel is right. 7-8 books a year, or only one!, its up to you.

• Love2B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You can "contribute" as much as you want to the literary world, but it won't be noticed or accepted unless it is good. Look at the Harry Potter books – they turned the whole literary world up side down (in a good way) and they took a long time to write. Go for quality – quality over quantity any time. My favorite author has only written about four books total in his career, but they are all amazing and worth reading over and over.

• 1 decade ago

Personally, I think one book a year is quite good! That's common for a writer. The writers that publish many per year, ex: Danielle Steel, have ghost writers (other people who write their books for them) or they turn out poorly written novels. I would LOVE to get one completed each year!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Some authors take years to publish one book. Sometimes it's worth the while, sometimes not. One book per year really isn't that much.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I'd say your very lucky if you get a book published. Why don't you try forgetting about it and actually writing?

By the way Nora Roberts is my favorite author.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Two questions:

1) How do you know you'll be an author?

2) How do you know you'll be able to publish a book, let alone several?

• deva
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

quantity over quality, right? many of the best books take years to write.

• Eric G
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Write anything. anyone seems to be able to write books, no matter how stupid they are. take for example , Joe the plumber.

• 1 decade ago

As the saying goes, "Don't quit your day job."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.