Question for Catholics about the Church and John Paul II?

Why is he considered one of the best Popes when all of the abuse scandals within the Church happened under his watch? I don't believe for a second that he didn't know what the Christian Brothers were up to. In fact, there are many who believe that he knew full well and he actually moved priests around from... show more Why is he considered one of the best Popes when all of the abuse scandals within the Church happened under his watch? I don't believe for a second that he didn't know what the Christian Brothers were up to. In fact, there are many who believe that he knew full well and he actually moved priests around from parish to parish to avoid the abuse becoming public. And what about the Magdalene asylums?

What I'm asking is, why is he considered to be so great when he probably knew about all the abuse being inflicted upon children and women at the hands of priests and nuns? I know when I was in school (which happened to be a Catholic school), he was talked about as if he was God himself.

The Church say sorry now, but it's like they're only sorry they were caught. I inclined to lose my faith in humanity when this broke, and it is one of the main reasons I am quite hostile towards the Church.

Do Catholics still consider Pope John Paul II to be great? What are the opinions of Catholics on him? And did any Catholics ever feel like they were losing their faith around the time of the scandals?
Update: Hitler - What are you on about? How am I offensive? I'm not a Catholic anymore. It's not like I said anything about Jews.
Update 2: But, what's the point in trying to solve the world's problems when you can't even solve the problems within your own institution?
Update 3: I don't believe that the Pope is divine, but I know a lot of people who left the Church over their very un-Christian acts. I don't assume the Pope knew EVERYTHING that was going on. He might not have known the extent of it, but he defintely knew it was happening. Of course he did. How could he not? He's... show more I don't believe that the Pope is divine, but I know a lot of people who left the Church over their very un-Christian acts. I don't assume the Pope knew EVERYTHING that was going on. He might not have known the extent of it, but he defintely knew it was happening. Of course he did. How could he not? He's at the very top, it's his job to oversee what exactly is going on and it's not like he's busy doing anything else. A lot of the sexual abuse within the Church that happened in my country, took place when he was the Pope, so....