My printer is only printing in black and blue ink - please could you help me as to why that may be.?

Hello there, My printer is a Canon PIXMA iP1500 and for some strange reason it only prints in black ink and blue. There is plenty of ink in both the black cartridge and the coloured cartridge but the coloured cartridge only prints blue. If I print something from my Yahoo e-mail account everything prints in... show more Hello there,

My printer is a Canon PIXMA iP1500 and for some strange reason it only prints in black ink and blue. There is plenty of ink in both the black cartridge and the coloured cartridge but the coloured cartridge only prints blue. If I print something from my Yahoo e-mail account everything prints in blue, even the normal text that you would expect to be black given that the black cartridge is full. However, if I print from 'Word' it does print in black but won't print in any other colour.

It isn't a new printer and previously worked brilliantly well so I've no idea what's changed.

I'm not at all technical so straight forward answers in layman's term would be much appreciated.

Have you any idea what the problem may be and what I should do about it?

Thank you very much in advance.
Update: P S. my colour cartridge is three quarters full and the black one is full.
Update 2: Thanks for your answers so far. I've done the cleaning thing on the maintenance button and have to get a new coloured ink cartridge today and I still have the same problem. Any more suggestions please.

Thank you