promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in TravelLatin AmericaPanama · 1 decade ago

Documents for Panama?

I live in U.S.A. What documents do I need in order to live in Panama? Some countries require that you either have relatives living in their country or you lived in their country for about 5 yrs, does that apply to Panama? Thanks for in advance for your time and answers.

2 Answers

  • Seryan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    To live in Panama you need a permanent residency visa. If you do not have a resident's visa (I have one) you can only stay here for three months (90 days) at a time. Some people do that and leave the country every three months and return after 72 hours.

    Some live here illegally and risk arrest and deportation and permanent barring from ever returning to Panama.

    There are several ways of obtaining a visa. Each one would require that your hire a Panamanian Immigration attorney.

    There are several types of visa that the attorney would help you get. Each visa depends on your financial situation.

    The easiest one to get is the Pensionado visa. To get that one you have to have a monthly income of $1,000 dollars, from your country's social security or your company's pension fund. It will have to be verified by the Panamanian consulate nearest your current place of residence. You will have to have a clean police record. You will have to be free of HIV/AIDS.

    If you are not old enough to retire, you can invest 80 thousand dollars in a Forestry visa. That is the least expensive visa. There are companies who will handle that for you, attorney's fees included.

    If you want to start a business in Panama, you can get a visa. Your attorney will tell you how to do that and all the requirements you must meet in order to get that visa.

    If you are "a person of means", meaning you have a lot of money, you can deposit $300,000 in the Bank of Panama and they will give you a resident's visa.

    There are some other ways, more complicated and each one will require that you have an attorney.

    Source(s): I live in Panama and have a resident's visa.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    whichever way you decide to go about getting a visa beware of immigration lawyers. They will lie to you and make you waste time so they can get more money from you. You must be very demanding.

    Source(s): US citizen living in Panama
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.