What do you think of Pres. Obama plans to appear on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno?

BTW, he is the first acting president to appear on this show.

Favorite Answer

I am wondering what hes up to, maybe he'll bring his buddy Hugo Chavez along? Nixon was a guest while president on the tonnight show with Johnny Carson and on Laugh In! He may be the first with Leno, but not on the tonight show

First of all, he's not "the acting president." He's "the incumbent President" or "the sitting President." If Obama had to step aside for some reason (i.e. surgery requiring anesthesia or a long-term illness), Vice President Joe Biden would be "acting President." (I'll put aside the actor-turned-President Ronald Reagan jokes.)

Second of all, Leno has been bipartisan. He's hosted Obama before, and also both Clintons (though not Bill while he was President), and Al Gore while he was Vice President, and John Edwards; but also George W. Bush while he was running, and John McCain before, during and after the campaign, and Arnold Schwarzenegger (practically made the difference in Ahnold getting elected Governor), and even Rush Limbaugh (though I think the last time he was on was in 1997 or so). If the leader of the Republican Party (whoever that is at the moment) wants to go on Leno, I think Jay would put him on the show.

Finally, Obama is smart: He knows Leno is good, and Conan O'Brien is awful, and he wants to get on the Tonight Show before Conan messes it up.

His numbers are dropping, sounds like a good tactic to get them back up. Happens all the time.

At this point, every move he makes as far as public appearances, is done for a reason. He has better and more important things to than to appear on that program. He cirtainly is NOT just appearing because he is such a "down to earth" kind of guy. The appearance is calculated and being done for a reason... Why? What will be coming up the days after the appearance?

The operative word in your message is 'acting'. I believe Obama is more of an actor or an evangalist, than he is a president. This is his opportunity to get to the masses of lemmings who wait to hear his message, but don't bother to listen to it from a news station.

He realizes that most will not tune into his politically fired speeches on CNN, so the next best thing is to write his monolouge filled with fantasy laden visions of sugar plumbs dancing through their weary, IQ deprived heads. Leno, desperate to improve his own ratings, will do anything to attracked the mouth breathers to Hick Central.

He isn't an "acting President," he is the President. When the word "acting" appears before someone's title, it means that the title isn't really theirs, but that they're stepping in because the person whose title it really is, was unable to do the job for some reason.

You mean he's the first SITTING President to do it.

And I wish he wouldn't. It only gives buttwipes like Limbaugh a reason to slander him further. But he's the President, so he'll do it if he wants to.

If Tony Blair (back when he was prime minister of britain) can appear on simpsons, comedy shows and make special guest appearances....why not Obama?

Any publicity can be good publicity!

Source(s): why is everyone turning on OBama all of a sudden. Just 2 months ago everyone had obama t-shirts! oh how people (not time) change!

Got me Leno sucks, Lettermans better.

I hope he brings his TelePrompter.

I think it's funny that people support the president going on The Tonight Show during an economic crisis. One of the posters here said it makes him seem "down to earth."

ARE YOU JOKING????

Could you imagine the outrage if Bush had gone on The Tonight Show a month after September 11th?

Of course, in Obama's case, he doesn't actually do anything as president anyway, so I guess it seems fine to him. After all, he's the campaigning sitting president. Pelosi and all those other dingbats are the ones making the rules anyway.

His ego needs a boost. Leno (and NBC) have given huge donations to his campaign so he is padding the pockets of NBC as their ratings will soar.

Guess who will be paying for this appearance and this payback? You guessed it. We will.

• leslie

I'm not in favor of our President appearing on any talk show, but you can bet I'll be watching!