Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 1 decade ago

What is your favorite Johnny Depp Movie (or TV show)?

... my girlfriend thinks his best stuff was from "21 Jump Street" (I'm guessing cause he was young and fresh faced)...WTF?

Favorite Answer

.Cry-Baby

This is a 1990 film by John Waters about Cry-Baby, a boy from the wrong side of the tracks (or a "drape"), who falls for rich girl (or "square") Allison. Depp plays the title role and pokes fun at his teen-idol image. This is a musical, but Depp doesn't sing unfortunately. He does dance, however. "Cry-Baby" is a funny movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. 4 stars.

Sleepy Hollow

This is Tim Burton's take on Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow story. Depp plays Ichabod Crane, a New York detective who is sent to investigate bizarre crimes in Sleepy Hollow, where people are being decapitated and their heads stolen. The film is a feast for the eyes and ears, with beautiful cinematography and Danny Elfman's haunting music. It is gory (how could it not be?), but it's also suspenseful and is a great choice for a horror-movie night. This is Depp's third film with Burton, and I feel it merits 5 stars.

Edward Scissorhands

This is Depp's first film with Tim Burton, and it is an absolutely wonderful film. Depp plays Edward Scissorhands, who was created by an old inventor (Vincent Price) who died suddenly, leaving Edward with scissors in place of hands. This is a seemingly sweet film that ends up showing the cruelness of society towards those who are different. This is a beautiful film that is one of the best movies I've ever seen. 5 stars.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

This is one movie everybody has probably seen or at least heard of. This is the first film to star Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger, the child murderer who was burned to death by angry parents and returns in dreams to haunt their children. Depp plays the boyfriend of the movie’s heroine, Nancy (Heather Langenkamp), and I thought he did a good job considering this was his first film role ever. This movie is truly frightening (not like the later films with wisecracking Freddy), and I would rate it 5 stars.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

For the most part, I wrote about each movie on this list in order, but I saved What’s Eating Gilbert Grape for last because it is not an easy movie to summarize. The movie shows the everyday life of Gilbert (played by Depp), and as we begin to care for the people in the film, we learn a little bit about ourselves. Depp is fantastic, but Leonardo DiCaprio is better in this movie as Gilbert’s mentally retarded younger brother, Arnie (he was nominated for an Academy Award for this film). I saw What’s Eating Gilbert Grape at least six years ago, and I still love it today and would highly recommend it to anyone. This is definitely a movie to put on your “to rent” list. 5 stars.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Pirates of the Caribbean is easily one of my top favourite films of 2003. Depp stars as Captain Jack Sparrow, a pirate who is trying to regain his ship The Black Pearl, which was taken over by the mutinous Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush). Elizabeth Swann, the governor's daughter (Keira Knightley), is kidnapped by Barbossa, and Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), who loves Elizabeth, teams up with Sparrow to save her. This is a fun and consistently entertaining film with fantastic performances by all the actors. This is also the movie featuring Depp's first and only Academy Award nominated performance. I seriously considered putting Pirates at the top of my list, and I give it 5 stars.

My favorite movie that Johnny Depp is in is Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, but that is more of a Hunter S. Thompson viewpoint. My favorite Johnny Depp movie is Benny & Joon.

Edward Scissor Hands, Followed by Pirates

Sweeney Todd and Pirates of the Caribbean

I first fell in love with him as a child in Edward Scissorhands. That film was so brilliant. As far as some of his best performances, I'd have to go with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Sweeney Todd.

Into the Great Wide Open music video for Tom Petty.

Chocolat

Pirates of the Caribbean

chocolat,edwood,edward sissors hands ! johnny depp rocks!

loathing in las vegas