Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What type of dog can a Doberman breed with?

We are thinking about breeding my dog but we don't know what type of dog to breed her with. Maybe another Doberman like her. Any suggestions?

Gosh people! I don't study this stuff I just ask it. I was wondering if I could allow my dog to breed with another breed. I already know that my dog is fine and has no diseases so stop calling me stupid because it has no effect on m and it is definitely NOT making you any smarter. So okay I get the idea all I can breed it with is another Doberman...you see was that so hard...most of you people said I was stupid and my dog wasn't well-trained well I'm not 10 years old I KNOW when and when not to breed my dog and the vets never said anything about it.

Favorite Answer

FORGET the "breeding".................Leave it to the Professional Breeders that know what they are doing. They do it for the bettering of the breed in all areas and including eyes, hip, heart, and genetics. All health areas. They breed from Champion lines in Show, Field, Agility, etc.

By you BYB (Back Yard Breeding), you are bringing dogs into this world that won't be of quality in those above listed areas.

Many puppies wind up going to shelters by the time they are adults, because the owners don't have the time for them, nor care for them, nor think they are "cute" anymore.

Also, by BYB, you may bring litters into this world with bad personality traits which may lead into more serious problems.

Please don't breed!!

Source(s): Mommy to my loving and devoted golden retriever, Pilot! ASPCA member, monthly donations to stop abuse to animals Humane Society member, same as above. Help to pass Prop2 (In CA), to end abuse to farm animals

This is something you should be able to read off the back of your hand. What do you know about Dobermans? From this question I'd guess, not much.

Before you really think seriously about this you have lots to learn before hand. Know the Breed Standards. Be able to recognize & identify the faults in your dog. Learn what an important roll genetics play in breeding dog. Genetics can determine color, temperament, size, ............& on. Just look at the Standards & get well educated about the breed, don't go into it not knowing what you are doing. Any body can breed a dog but is the dog worth breeding?. Look at the blood line. How many Champions are there? Has she won her Championship?

So many things to consider, do not go into this light heartedly.

The only other dog your dog should breed with is one of her own breed. There are MANY Doberman mutts in shelters, there is no need to add to that. Heck, there are plenty of other dogs in shelters so why breed?

Unless she has Ch. bloodlines? Is a proven Ch. herself? Is a working dog with excellent genes to pass on? Is tested against genetic problems and brucellosis? Is over two years old but under six?

How about you: got a mentor? Got a good couple grand on hand for general and vet care for b*tch and pups? Know anything about heat cycles, when to mate, how to mate, and when she should NOT be mated? How about recognizing whelping signs? Signs of distress during whelping? Can you revive a puppy? Got the money for a c-section if needed? Know how to write a legally binding contract (and what to put in it?)

In all honesty, now is NOT the best time to breed. The economy is for craps: people are losing money and jobs, prices are rising. No one is going to want to spend ANY kind of dough on ANY kind of dog right now. Which means YOU costs will rise. YOU may be stuck caring and paying for 1-10+ puppies.

Unless she is breeding quality (IE NOT from a pet store, rescue, or BYB) then you're better off having her spayed.

Source(s): Owned by Mutt

The Doberman is a purebred breed, originally bred for specific traits to be a protection dog. Dobermanns breed true when both the dam & sire are from the same breed. Why consider a cross bred litter??

Unless you have a well bred Dobermann, who is an above average example of the breed, rigorously health tested, with a stable temperament & shown in conformation/working/sport, it would be better to enjoy owning her and forgo breeding a litter.

If she is a well bred Dobermann from a responsible breeder, contact the breeder, ask them to assess the b*tch & if she has potential then the breeder may agree to be a breeding mentor.

• ?

It doesn't really sound like ur ready to breed hun. I mean first of all,you really shouldn't breed her with any other breed BUT another Doberman.Also,unless she's show quality,has gotten a clean bill of health from the vet,and has a good temperament,nobody will want to use their stud dog on her.And you shouldn't try breeding her with any other breeds.That's very unhealthy and wouldn't be fair to your dog.Don't just breed because you want pups,breeding takes a lot of time,money,and dedication,otherwise you put everyones lives(mommy and puppies)in jeopardy and you might take on more then you can handle.

Source(s): Showmanship and obedience experience for 7 years,volunteer at animal shelter.

I assume you are asking how to be a responsible breeder. :-)

1. Contact a breed club for your breed. Ask for a mentor.

2. STUDY the breed standard. Learn about dog anatomy and ask your mentor to

clarify anything you don't understand.

3. Learn what genetic faults and diseases run in your breed and test for any

that can be tested for.

4. Show your dog in conformation events to see if it is of the proper

quality for breeding. Winning doesn't always mean a dog is breeding quality,

but being around so many others that know your breed and will talk to you

will do wonders for your self-education efforts!

5. Study the past history of great dogs in your breed. You will see how your

breed has improved and progressed since the beginning of the breed.

6. Study the breed standard some more! ;-)

7. Join any Yahoo groups about your breed.

8. Live, dream and study your breed.

9. Get a good book on canine reproduction, and educate yourself about the

pitfalls, problems, and proud moments of breeding. Learn about the

physiology of reproduction, such as heat cycles and venereal diseases in

dogs, potential for problems specific to your breed, and what you need to

expect at whelping.

10. Remember that whelping (giving birth) can kill your female. Being used

as a stud dog can encourage bad behaviors common in intact males such as

territorial marking, aggression, and desire to roam from home.

11. Prepare to be broke. Breeding properly is EXPENSIVE.

12. Line up potential homes for any puppies you produce and write up a

contract. Remember to include that you will be willing to take back your

puppies at any time in their lives that they might need you. If you bring

life into this world, it is your responsibility FOREVER.

13. Prepare to spend sleepless nights attending whelping females, caring for

fading puppies or puppies orphaned, and practice cleaning up after 24/7 poop

machines.

I'm sure there are many things I missed because being a responsible breeder

isn't just a job. It's a way of life. You will live dogs. 24/7/365. There

are lots of hard decisions. There is a lot of expense. There will be pain.

But, if you do your darndest to always keep the welfare of your dogs and the

future of any of their offspring, you can go to step 14.

14. Enjoy the love and success of a job well done.

Source(s): Rescuer, vet tech, groomer and show exhibitor of Shetland sheepdogs for 20+ years.

1---Only with another doberman

2--is your female at least 24 mos old, they should never be bred before this age, they need to be mature to breed to,

3--have you had her tested for temperament, genetic diseases.

4--are you breeding her to improve the breed standard, if not then don't breed her at all, spay her

5--does she have any titles, is she a champion, if no, don't breed her

6--have you ever bred dogs before, if no, then don't breed her, spay her

7--are you breeding her for the money off the sale of the pups, if yes, then don't breed her, spay her.

And since your asking what type of dog to breed her to, I would say you are not a knowledgeable dog person..then don't breed, spare her and spay her, there are enough dogs in the shelters and on the streets now.

8--if you do breed her, the male as well should be a champion, titled out to the fullest, had all his testing as well.

there is so much involved when you breed dogs, it has to be to improve the breed standard, for showing the dog. not just to make puppies to sell for the money...it's not about the money at all.

Do not add to the overpopulated shelters

Source(s): Retired Breeder, owner, handler 15 yrs Shelter volunteer 13 yrs Akita Rescue

Don't make any more mixed breeds. There's wayy to many in shelters as it is. If you just go to Petfinder.com and look up Doberman, I'm sure you see plenty of them. Purebred as well as mixed.

Another Doberman that is health tested and has her BIS titles just like yours does----what's that you say....your dog doesn't have health test and BIS titles???

Then you need to spay/neuter the dog. I am sure you do not wish to become one of the thousands of BYB that contribute to the overcrowding of shelters

dear freaking god! **bangs head against monitor...repeatedly**

i seriously think an IQ test should be enforced before owning a pet of any kid, let alone breeding one.

WOW just WOW!

Source(s): Owned by 4 dogs, ASPCA member, SPCA volunter and foster home.