Can You Find The Answers To The Pi Trivia Game?
1. This remarkable Swiss mathematician and teacher was responsible for instituting the use of the symbol for pi in mathematical notation.
2. The Islamic scientist/mathematician AL-Khowarizmi is credited with coining the word__________. His book, written in 825 AD, demonstrated how to solve equations and became widely popular throughout the world.
3. This 17th century English mathematician wrote two famous books on mathematics: The Artihmetica and The Algebra. He invented the term interpolation and created a celebrated formula for determining the value of pi.
4. __________ numerals are the most common system of number notation used in today’s world.
5. What extraordinary Indian mathematician created a formula to rapidly calculate the value of pi? He was fascinated with infinity.
6. What popular graphical artist uses mathematical principles such as mobius strips, knots,optical illusions and transformations in his work?
7. This 19th century French mathematician did very innovative work with equations and quadratic forms. He correspondended at length with other mathematicians and often contributed to their work. His work with transcendental numbers was the foundation for later proof of the transcendence of pi.
8. This swings back and forth, measures time, and is prominantly featured in a grizzly short story by Edgar Allen Poe.
9. What English mathematician published the first book evaluating pi?
10. This is another word for code and is a way to transform text in order to conceal meaning.
11. This ancient Greek mathematician estimated the most accurate calculation of pi of his times.
12. This African American mathematician and astronomer helped to survey Washington DC and is noted for his correspondence with Jefferson regarding the morality of slavery.
13. What chapter of the Bible includes an allusion to pi?
14. What early American Indians invented the zero long before it was introduced to Europe. This allowed them to make complex calculations.
15. The evolution of this thechnological invention allows us to calculate the value of pi to 500 million places?
16. These endlessly generating patterns are the geometry of nature.
17. This French mathematician penned The Elements de Geometrie in 1794, in which he clarified much of Euclid’s work. One of its highlights is the proof of the irrationality of pi.
This book became the textbook on geometry for over a hundred years.
18. Pi was featured as a key plot element during an episode of this popular science fiction
show. The very savvy Vulcan science officer used the calculatation of pi to crash the computer.
19. What celebrated architect called his designs "the destruction of the box," and reorganized spatial designs to suggest the third dimension?
20. What Chinese mathematician computed the value of pi to 3.14159 by the 3rd century ?
21. A ___________is the term for a hypercube (four- dimensional analogue of a cube). This concept was featured in the whimsical book A Wrinkle in Time.
22. The Egyptians came up with the valu of pi based on their formula for what geometric shape?
23. This concept of balanced form exists in art, architecture, science, nature and mathematics.
24. This German mathematician is famous for his proof that pi is a transcendental number.
25. These popular Chinese puzzles are fun to create.
TERMS TO CHOOSE:
Algebra Arabic Archimedes Banneker Cipher Circle Computer Escher Euler Fractals Hermite Kings Legendre Lindemann Liu Hui Maya Pendulum Ramanujan Shanks Star Trek Symmetry Tangrams Tesseract Wallis Wright