Looking for a good rice recipe?

I have some leftover pork chops and want to make some good rice for the side. I don't have any chicken broth or stock and no way to go out and get any. I need some good spice or flavoring ideas. Can anyone help?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Cister
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Brazilian Rice

This is a simple rice recipe from Brazil. It is used instead of plain rice. Use it with well seasoned curried dishes.

This recipe is easy to make and can be made under half hour.

Ingredients - Serves 4-6

4 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced

12 oz. [2 cups] long-grain rice, washed, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes and drained

2 tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 pints [3 1/8 cups] boiling water

Preparation

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and fry, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent but not brown. Add the rice and fry for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the tomatoes and salt. Cook for 2 minutes and then pour in the boiling water.

Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed.

Turn the rice into a warmed serving dish and serve immediately

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Stir-fried vegetable rice

225g jasmine rice

1 zucchini, cut into thin sticks

120g thin French beans, trimmed

1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed, halved lengthways

1/2 cup frozen peas

1 small carrot, peeled, cut into thin strips

2 tbs vegetable oil

1 tbs green curry paste

1 small onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed

2 tsp grated fresh ginger

1 tbs fish sauce

1 tbs soy sauce

1/4 cup Thai basil leaves*

6 shallots (spring onions), sliced

Method

Cook the rice in a saucepan of boiling, salted water, then drain well. Allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight.

Blanch the zucchini, beans, asparagus, peas and carrot in boiling, salted water for 1 minute, then drain, refresh under cold water and set aside.

Heat the oil in a wok over high heat, then add the curry paste and stir-fry for a few seconds or until fragrant. Add onion, garlic and ginger, and cook for

1 minute. Add the blanched vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes or until just tender. Add the rice and heat through, then stir in the fish and soy sauce, basil leaves and shallots.

Notes & tips

It's best if you cook the rice for this recipe the day before.

* Thai basil is available from Asian supermarkets. Substitute with common basil if not available.

Taste.com.au is the place for food & recipes! Check out our latest collections including starters recipes, main recipes, drink recipes, Spanish recipes and autumn recipes.

Source

delicious. - October 2003, Page 78

• 1 decade ago

In a little olive oil, stir some minced garlic and minced ginger until fragrant. Add 1 cup of basmati rice and stir for a few minutes, add 1 Tbsp. curry powder and stir until coated. Add 2 cups water, bring to a boil, slap a lid on it, turn it down to simmer, and time it for 18 minutes. I stir it at about the 12 minute mark and toss in a handful of frozen peas. When it's done I add some chopped green onions and cilantro.

And if you want it for a main dish, toss in some frozen cooked shrimp along with the peas.

• 1 decade ago

I like to add a good tablespoon or two of coconut oil to my rice. Olive oil also works nicely. If all else fails, just boil up the rice in salted water and add a nice helping of butter when it is done. You can also toss in frozen veggies (pea n' carrots, mixed veggies, etc). right into the water you are using to boil the rice. It's a good way to sneak in some veggies and it adds a nice flavour. If you have any saffron threads, toss them in too to make saffron rice. You only need a pinch. You can also use curry and whatever beans you have to make a nice curry side dish. Bon appetite!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

ordinary Mexican Rice: 30 min 10 min prep 6 servings a million a million/2 lbs floor crimson meat a million (3 a million/2 ounce) bag boil-in-the-bag rice (cooked) a million (sixteen ounce) jar salsa (please use a small jar of your trendy salsa, i admire making use of easy) a million a million/2 cups shredded Mexican combination cheese a million. prepare dinner floor crimson meat in a ten inch skillet till it particularly is not any longer crimson; drain. 2. upload rice and salsa to crimson meat. 3. Stir nicely. 4. Sprinkle cheese frivolously over combination. 5. conceal and enable cheese soften (approximately 5 minutes). 6. If wished serve with refried beans and a salad.

• 1 decade ago

zesty n bean rice

2 cups cooked whole grain rice, cooled (microwave variety is quick and easy)

1 15 ounce can low-sodium mixed beans or pinto beans (or choose your favorite type)

1 medium tomato, chopped, with juices

1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped

1/ 2 cup cilantro, chopped

Juice of 1 lime

Combine cooked rice with drained and rinsed beans, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. Toss well and chill until ready to serve.

• 1 decade ago

rice= 2 c water, 1 c rice

bring water to boil with salt and a bit of oil (or butter) add rice, return to boil cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. yeah turn on the timer put a lid on it and ignore it.

your choice what you add to your perfect rice:

chopped veggies (nuke the veggies and stir in)

picante sauce

chives and garlic

cheese (shredded) and broccoli

whatever you like will work!

• 1 decade ago

chop some onions and lightly saute them until brownish. then add some chopped tomatoes with tumeric powder, garlic powder and chopped seedles green or red chillis. then blend this all together and add with a small bit of coconut milk. marinate with the pork chops and then add with the rice!

THIS RECIEPE SMELLS GORGEOUS WHILST COOKING.

XXXX

• 1 decade ago

yes, take butter, chopped onions,green onions,parsley,seasoning salt, hot sauce for spice&color you can add meat of your choice. saute' seasoning with butter then add rice let steam for 5 min. mix well and enjoy! I have many good cajun,creole&soul food. We love spicey! Good luck New orleans only chic65.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.