How should I file my shares of Circuit City, which went bankrupt?

I have shares of circuity city (CC) and now its bankrupt. Do I file is this as an investment loss and then enter it as worthless securities? I tried the capital loss carryover but it didn't work as it kept on asking something about a 2007 line 45 if there is an amount in it. For me there isn't so that option didn't work. Also, should I file the total loss amount, which is more than the annual allowable loss of 3000 or claim it each year until my TOTAL loss has been covered? Thanks!!!

Favorite Answer

The only loss you would report is selling those shares at a loss. You can't simply claim bankrupt shares as losses because you haven't lost anything.

The stock isn't worthless yet so you can't claim a loss unless you actually sold it in 2008.

The year you do claim it, you take the entire loss then do the capital loss carryforward.

Claim it every year. That sucks. $3,000 annual allowable loss? What happens if you put $60,000 on CC? Then, you'd be at it for 20 years. That's rubbish. What country are you from?