Have you read any AA books like books from Alice Walker, Toni Morrison or Maya Angelou?

Which one was your favorite? which one would you like to read? Which one would you highly recommend?

• Jen
    Favorite Answer

Alice Walker is the easiest to read, Toni Morrison the most heart-breaking, and Maya Angelou the most inspirational. You could also drop back a few generations and check out the black literature of the 1920s. Zora Neale Hurston is a great start!

Sure, I've read books by all of those authors. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou is good and Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eyes Ever was good. And of course The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

Teri Woods is a good author too. She has Tru To the Game parts 1-3 and they are hard to put down! And also Omar Tyree is a good author too.

Source(s): Black/Latina woman who loves to read

I have read all of those authors, and I enjoyed their books very much. Some of my favorites by them:

Alice Walker The Color Purple

Toni Morrison Beloved

The Bluest Eye

Maya Angelou I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

I LOVE her poetry google "Phenomenal Woman" and "Still I Rise" very uplifting

Check out Gloria Naylor her book "Mama Day" was pretty good.

Zora Neale Hurston is worth reading as well

I agree with Jen. Alice Walker is easier to get into than Tomi Morrison. Toni Morrison once said, when asked why her stuff is so difficult, that she wants her books to be a five course meal NOT fast food.

Terri McMillian kind of bothers me because her stuff seems so superficial, however, I think since she is not so 'literary' than the other two, she can reach the general public better.

• Chana

This is rather sad, but the ones that always get to me usually have the kiddish plots or something that isn't extremely apathetic. I cried at the end of both Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, and Son of a Witch; and The Hunger Games. All three were sooo sad.. Btw: Hiii Light's Kira!! I don't ever get to see you anymore! If this is even the right user. :| [[edit]] Ok. Reading the few answers before me, this is obviously the real Light's Kira. :) Well yeah, hi. Haha. Hope you haven't forgotten about little ol' us. Ohh!! And the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath was sad; as well as the Catcher in the Rye

Yes the Maya Angelou series of works this was thorough heartbreaking, encouraging and triumphant for me. I love and espect this woman as if I knew her.

1. I know why the caged bird sings

2. Gather together in my name

3. All God's children need traveling shoes

4. A song flung up to heaven

This woman went through so much including the abduction of her only son. I admire and truly look up to a great American role model.

A must read.

• Sora

I read (or tried to) Beloved from Toni Morrison and found it really hard to read because of the content and the complexity of her writing. The Bluest Eyes (from her too) was easier, and I really liked the Color Purple by Alicia Walker.

I just love Maya Angelou. Her poetry stirs up so much in me. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is my all time favorite book. I have worn my copy out. I love to hear her speak too. She's an amazing woman.

I highly recommend Roots by Alex Haley Jr. - even if you saw the TV series, it is very much worth reading the book. It's long, but well worth it!

I have read some toni morrison books, they were the bluest eye, tar baby, and sula. sula was my favorite. i read the color purple my alice walker as well and it was good but i would recommend sula.