Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

How can I prevent my parents marriage from falling apart?

I am 13 and I think that my parents marriage is slowly melting away. I want to help without them really knowing it because they would be insulted. Any tips?

Favorite Answer

you can't just love them and hope for the best. Marriage is never about the children it is about the two people who are married

• Laura

I know what you're going through. I've been through the same. I would advise that you don't try and hide your feelings from either of them. Anger and feelings of betrayal are normal. They are in a pretty horrible place too now, but in order to make the right decisions for themselves and for you they need to know how you feel and what you're thinking. Emotions are running hot and they will probably say and do things which they will regret. Your mother wants to run away, which is normal. I'm guessing, since you don't want to leave, that you like your Dad and the place where you live. It's good you told her you don't want to move. If you want her to listen, honesty (blunt honesty) is always best. My parents seperated: my Dad got remarried and my mother has jumped from relationship to relationship. It's been a very bumpy ride but I can say that I've come out of it all right and a much stronger person. Your parents still love you. Things might seem chaotic and dark right now, but I promise that it will get better.

• KellyR

you cant help a married couple with their problems. only they can fix their marriage. i'm sure their fighting has nothing to do with you so you dont need to change your ways, unless you do feel you could be some conflict then i would talk to them about your own behavior. but i would just let it be, because you would hate for them to stay together because they felt guilty because they thought it would hurt you and in return they're living their life miserably instead of being divorced and being happy. having divorced parents isnt as bad as people say. i did it and couldnt have had a better childhood.

• Robert

You don't have the power to keep your parents marriage together nor do you have the power to destroy their marriage. No one has that power but them. It is important for you to know that. What ever the outcome will be you deserve neither credit nor blame.

The best thing you can do is to take care of yourself and do all the things you should be doing and none of the things you shouldn't doing. But then you should behave that way regardless of your parents marriage. I wish for you the best life has to offer and good luck.

Falling apart can be bad effect to children. many parents irrespective of approach on this matter. To all parents please think about the future of your children, before divorced.

hopefully will not happen to you.

• You can't...it is up to them to sustain the marriage or end it....neither can be done for them by any one else.

You can't insult them nor can you solve their problems. If they stay or go, its not up to you.

you really cant help their decisions, either it will happen or it will not happen, there is no special formula to keep them together, it has to be on their own will