After submiiting my application for ITIN to IRS, usually after how many days can I receive notice from them?

I am a non-us citizen. I'm required for an ITIN number for a certain transaction. Now, after submitting my documents to IRS , usually how long does it take before I can receive notice of acceptance or rejection from IRS.It's been 6 months now, since I submitted my application. Anybody help me please.

Favorite Answer

Why did you submit the W-7? With a tax return, the process can be 10 weeks.

For other situations (such as the sale of a property), the IRS will try to expedite the request.

In order to get an ITIN a W-7 application form is submitted to the IRS along with a completed tax return on which the ITIN number is required. There is no legitimate reason for requesting an ITIN other than to use it on a tax return.

After the application is submitted, it typically takes 2-3 months before the ITIN is issued. The tax return to which the W-7 is attached will typically be processed in 4-8 weeks.

Richard K

This advice is based upon my understanding of the tax law in effect at the time it was written as it applies to the facts provided by you. See my profile for more information.