victorian fiction books?

I really enjoy fictional books from the Victorian Era. I like romance, fantasy, or mystery. Some of my favorites are the Gemma Doyle Trilogy and The Luxe Series. I'd really appreciate it if you could recommend some books. :))

Favorite Answer

Two contemporary series that I really liked were The Victorian Mysteries by Robin Paige and Anne Perry's Thomas Pitt series (also a victorian mystery series). They are different from the series you were talking about with more fluff but they are fun to read. Each book tends to look at a different aspect of Victorian England (like high society, early automobile fanatics/racers, interest in the occult, etc). They both also have strong females leading the way along with their romantic interest.

I like Robin Paige's the best!

You can always try out some of the classics:

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell

Middlemarch - George Elliot (a woman!)

The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby - Dickens

A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens

A Long Fatal Love Chase - Louisa May Alcott

I can't think of any young adult focused works. But I tried to think of some classics that have romance in it or have an interesting story line -- like A Long Fatal Love Chase, its a sensational novel I just had to read for class.

I took a course in University on victorian literature. Some books I can remember studying are Tom Jones (by Henry Fielding), a few works from Charles Dickens (I'm sure you've looked into some of his stuff), the Beggar's Opera (though that's more of a play than a book)...and.. that's all I can think of for now.