What does a Wireless LAN do?

What does it do, and how does it operate? Is it good compared to other things? do you need it to connect to the internet wirelessly?

Favorite Answer

Wireless LAN (Local Area Network) is composed of one or more devices connected wirelessly to a LAN.

PC1

|

Router ----- Modem ----- ISP ------ Internet

|

PC2

This is a rather simple diagram showing a LAN. When you ask how well it is in comparison I assume you are referring to a standard LAN. A wireless LAN is obviously easier to set up, can be less expensive and can be less of an eyesore. However, a traditional LAN can be faster, and is in preference in a one computer network.

It is not possible to connect to the internet wirelessly without a Wireless LAN.

If you have anymore questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hope this helped. :)

Source(s): Information gathered studying for the A+ exam. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%2B_certification#A....

This just means that your wireless device has the internet already and can already connect you to the web I think, It operates as being your internet connection, and it can be used for any other devices such as MP3's iPhones and other gadgets.