Should the GOP listen more to minorities and less to loudmouths like Rush Limbaugh if they want a future?

The GOP needs to listen more to minorities and less to loudmouths like Rush Limbaugh and polarizing figures like Sarah Palin if it's going to have a future, Colin Powell tells CNN. Powell, who endorsed Barack Obama but still considers himself a Republican, said the party's efforts to win votes by polarizing people have backfired.

"Gov. Palin pushed the party more to the right," Powell said. "I think she had a polarizing effect when she talked about how small town values are good. Well, most of us don't live in small towns. And I was raised in the South Bronx, and there's nothing wrong with my value system." He also slammed Limbaugh for appealing to "our lesser instincts."

-CNN-

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Powell is correct but the Republican Party is caught in the dilemma of how to broaden its outreach to minority voters while still retaining the support of the racists and bigots that it has so assiduously courted for decades.

The Republican Party's obvious effort to appeal to minorities through the selection of Michael Steele, for instance, took a stumble when Steele had to apologize to Rush Limbaugh. It made Steele look weak and very much like a token.

Rush is a successful propagandist and he appeals to the bigots through both obvious and subtle means. That guarantees him a certain audience. Palin was of course polarizing but again the appeal was meant for a certain segment of the public. Obviously that did not work as far as winning an election and the Republican Party needs to find a way re-advertise itself. Whether they can be successful is highly doubtful.

• spanky
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Ask yourself this question :Why has there only been 3 Democrats in the Whitehouse in the last 50 years? The Democrats will lose in 2012, they're already on their way to losing...Obama's approval rating is going down faster than Bush's did in the beginning of the Bush Administration and more and more people are disagreeing with Obama's tax and spend on nothing that will stimulate the economy. Is Obama spending any money on real stimulus projects, NO. Do people really think Obama's $13 a week will stimulate this economy, thats just plain stupid.

• MSU69
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Moderates in the Republican party are no longer welcomed since the party has come under the influence and control of the religious right. Few years ago Barry Goldwater said this way "Jerry Falwell needs good swift kick in the ***."

The GOP loves to call itself the party of the Big Tent, but to be under the tent you must be: pro life, pro gun, anti gay, anti public education, pro war, anti environment, anti government, and tax cuts for the rich. The big tent is now one ring circus of Rush Limbaugh as the ring master.

• 1 decade ago

We need to stop encouraging people to think of themselves as minorities and start encouraging them to think of themselves as people.

The Democrats entire ideology is based on hate - pitting backs against whites, Mexicans against Americans, rich against poor, women against men...

If we can't simply evolve to a point where rights belong to the individual and not to members of specific groups, we're only going to end up swimming in the pot of mediocrity that has consumed Europe and Canada.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • TJ9
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Ant party shouldn't listen to loud mouth talk show hosts. They have a valued opinion but don't listen to others. Sara Palin and Bobby Jindal might be their last hope at survival. If they don't include minorities they will fail soon. A conservative party that excepts minorities will take them down. Conservative and libertarian politics will enter a new era if they republicans make stupid decisions and destroy themselves.

• LeAnne
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

We should listen to all sides, equally, and decide for ourselves.

We should pay attention to our representatives and follow their voting records and pay only scant attention to their political ads when they campaign.

I suspect the aura, idealism and optimism presently surrounding Obama will eventually settle and the issues and real concerns presently facing this nation will again move to the forefront.

The corporate, welfare bailouts are a good example - the American people don't like them and our representatives had better take notice.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Should you put down the K00l Aid so you can see more clearly?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sure they should listen to their leader. Mr Steele. That will work.

Are you saying you think women have the right to choose abortion?

Yeah. I mean, again, I think that’s an individual choice.

You do?

Yeah. Absolutely.

Apparently, the strategy is to become Democrats to regain power. LMAO

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good for Colin Powell. The Republican party has not heard any truthful statements from their party members in a long time.

• 1 decade ago

Colin Powell that party flipflopper tells crazy CNN now that is worth US listening to. (I laugh aloud)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.