What climbing plant will cover a brick wall really fast (UK)?

I wondered if there wea any clibing plant that will grow really fast and cover an ugly brick wall in my garden? The wall is an ugly colour and just looks very blank...any other suggestiions as to how to soften it this Summer? What other things might look nice?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Virginia creeper is a good idea, because although it will cling to the wall it doesn't have harmful suckers like ivy does and can be removed if necessary. It is green when the new leaves come and goes a spectacular red in autumn.

You don't have to have only one climber - put in several and you'll have flowers and interest at different times of the year, eg honeysuckle, (different types flower between April and September) clematis (Montana grows fast and flowers in Spring, pink or white, and Bill McKenzie is very vigorous and flowers in late summer, yellow) or climbing or rambling roses. Fix a trellis, or fix wires to vine eyes before you plant, to support your climbers and then just tie them in unless they are the sorts that support themselves given something to cling to. If the wall faces South or West you could have some lovely espalier fruit trees trained aganst it.

• 1 decade ago

I'm a big fan of Clematis, and the Montana is a really quick grower. How about coupling that with a few more different varieties of Clematis, and/or Honeysuckle, you could even get a couple of evergreen shrubs like Choisya Sundance, Berberis or ceanothus to plant in front of the climbers to give you colour throughout the winter when the rest have died away.

here is a link which will you show you the stunning an effect Clematis can give.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/MB015673.jpg?size=67&...

• 1 decade ago

Russian vine. Nicer than ivy, because it flowers. It grows extremely fast. Also, ivy digs its little suckers into the spaces between the bricks and can damage the wall, especially if you have to pull it off later.

• 1 decade ago

English Ivy

Source(s): have lot's of them.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

It is a fact that a nicely landscaped house will have much better curb appeal and add worth to your home so if you have a lovely property make it far more lovely with a wonderful landscape that you will understand right here https://tr.im/MKhUT with the manual Ideas 4 Landscaping .

With Ideas 4 Landscaping you will find out what far better fits your house and you will grow to be the most talented landscape artist because with this guide you will create the excellent environment for you.

• 1 decade ago

In my opinion I would go for the Hedera helix or the Boston ivy which both grow very quick. Hedera helix is an evergreen while Boston ivy is a deciduous.

• 1 decade ago

Climbing plants can destroy brick work , it may be better to paint the brick , put a large garden mirror there to cover it or just grow stand alone plants in tubs to hide it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

plants on brickwork are never a good idea. but if the wall is that ugly , plant some ivy and when the wall is destroyed you can have a nicer one built...

• 1 decade ago

Put a tresle up against it then you'll have a much better choice of options for climbing plants

• 1 decade ago

If you live in a fairly warm climate Silver Lace Vine will do. It is easy, fast growing and has very fragrant flowers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.