Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 1 decade ago

Safe areas of London for a female travelling alone?

I'm looking at a couple different hostels--around which tube stop would be the safest for a single female-- Hammersmith, London Bridge, or Swiss Cottage?

--I've been to London before but never really those particular areas--I've felt safe in London both times I've been there, just want to make sure I choose a good place to be based.

(the other hostel I was in--one was between the Baron's Court and West Ken stops, the other off of Notting Hill Gate)

Favorite Answer

For goodness sake people! London isn't that bad, Ok you may want to avoid Elephant & Castle of all places but that's not on the list.

Hammersmith is probably the worse but it's not that bad, Tower Hill may be edging to danger but Swiss Cottage is a fab place to be.

Right next to Primrose Hill & Regent's Park, By far the best place for you, but if you will be saving money at on of the other places go there as you will be fine.

Anything can happen to anyone anywhere so no need to avoid these areas just have your wits about yourself as you would anywhere else!

Hope This Helps

Sam (A Londoner)

London Bridge is more central than the others so I would pick that one. Hostels wouldn't be my number one choice of accommodation when travelling alone but I suppose if you have no money, you don't really have much choice. A lot of night buses will take you past London Bridge and being close to the city (financial district), it's very safe during the day as it's full of men in pinstripe suits.

I am a woman who has lived in London for 10 years. I have never so much as been approached by someone when travelling alone. This is not Nigeria, this is one of the wealthiest cities in the world. I travel alone a lot during the day and at night and have always been perfectly safe. Obviously I'm not stupid and keep to lit walkways where there are other people and don't walk around with a huge camera or jewellry.

I stayed in Russell Square area a couple weeks ago and it was lovely. I thought it was a very nice area. Just watch for pickpockets, especially in the tube and British Museum. The British Museum is great by the way. You will love it. The only reason I sad to watch for pickpockets there is because a guard kept warning us while we were there :) I am not sure how it is late at night, I usually went to my hotel earlyish, but just use common sense. You will have lots of fun :)

Swiss Cottage is not only the safest, but is also in the best location.

Very few areas in London are unsafe, and none where tourists are likely to visit.

Swiss Cottage is the best of the three areas.

Probably Swiss Cottage but you can't guarantee anywhere.

swiss cottage or perhaps london bridge, I would opt for swiss cottage though as i know the area pretty well

Good luck and take care

All of London will be fine for a woman alone

damn, the UK isn't a third world country, and London isn't the ghetto

Source(s): Live in London

Camden

Nowhere, London is a dangerous city,

Source(s): I have lived here all my life.