Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What are the benefits of having a pet (Dog) around?

I know the first is safety, but whatelse? i have to show my DAD why havi g a dof is important.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Alee C
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I don't know how old you are but... The dog is not for safety, yes many are loyal and will protect their ''pack'' but not everyone.

Having a dog is a big responsibility, that like i or not will probably go back on your parents, so they have to ultimately make the decision, everyone in the house musy want a dog, it is not just a decision made by one.

When I was 12 my brothers 3mos, old Siberian Husky was not being taken care of to well, my mom even wanted to give him to a friend who already has 4 huskies. But I really liked the dog, and knew that he could be a great dog if someone would just put in sometime. So at the age of 12 Rex became mine, he is now a beautiful 4 year old Siberian.

There are bennefits with getting a dog:

-Learn responsibilities

-More active

-Learn patience

-Have a beautiful companion.

And many more

But to go with these bennefits there are some shores you'll have to:

-Walk the dog EVERY day

-Train the dog

-Socialize him

-Housetrain him

-Feed him, and give water

-Brush him

And a ton more.

You have to let your parents decide if they want a dog or not.

Source(s): Owner of a beautiful Siberian Husky
  • 1 decade ago

This are just some

People who have a dog or any pet have less stress then people who don’t. They can also help to lower ones blood pressure

Pets can make an uncomfortable situation more comfortable most people are often more at ease when a pet is around. They say if your walking people are more willing to come and talk to you if you have a dog with you.

They also offer unconditional love and companionship. Coming home from a bad day a pet will typical make you feel better if by just a look or a wag of their tail.

Pet owners generally have high level of self-esteem then people who don’t have pets.

Children brought up with pets show better social skills and empathy with others than children with no pets

Pet owner have better psychological well-being.

Pet owners have better physical health due to exercise with their pets.

Pets decrease feeling of loneliness and isolation

Children owning pets are more involved in activities such as sports, hobbies, clubs, or chores.

Children exposed to pets during the first year of life have a lower frequency of allergic rhintis and asthma

People often feel safer with a dog. In the home and when they go out for a walk.

That said a dog is a big responsibility and sometimes very high maintenance even more if you get a high energy dog. Will someone be able to take the dog for a walk at least once a day? With a high energy dog you should do more then one walk and not just a stroll around the block. You’d also have doing training and socialization . You might get the book Cesar’s Way good book for anyone considering getting a dog.

• 1 decade ago

Not all dogs are guard dogs, some breeds would just be as likely to kiss and greet an intruder... I wouldn't consider safety a benefit.

I love having dogs because they make such wonderful company (if you train them right).

I know having a dog sounds fun, and it IS, but I wouldn't push your dad too hard. If not everyone in the family genuinely wants the dog, it can only end badly. You want to make sure your dog that comes to you will stay with you for its entire lifetime.

I think you need to go over what's NOT good about having a dog first, so you know what you are getting into. Then if the expensive vet bills, the mess, the responsibility, the laws, etc... don't put off you and your dad, then consider getting one.

Basically, make sure your dad is happy and into it or it won't be fair to the dog.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'd always wanted a dog ever since I knew what they were. I'm now 13 and having pestered my family to get one for 11 years, my mum finally gave up and she decided that actually she'd quite like to get one as well. We chose a labrador because several of our friends have them and they are the most calm loyal dogs I've ever met. We brought our little black lab pup home and I fell in love with her! The novelty wore off after about two days and that's when she became part of the family. I love her so much I'm at the point where I'd go into a burning building to rescue her. I actually look forward to coming home to school to see her. Having a dog is even better than I'd ever imagined - they may smell but then humans smell as well. I don't notice the smell of dog anymore because I've gotten used to it. Good luck convincing your dad. Get him to read this paragraph.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In my opinion, a dog is an essential part of any childhood, especially for an only child who has no other immediate companions. My family bought our dog when I was 8 years old -- I'm now 18. In the past 10 years, my playful puppy has grown into a wise, old companion. I have taken my dog on more than 2,000 walks, spent thousands of hours with her and come to know her like no one else ever could.

The two of us are soul mates. She gets me; I get her. She can't speak, but she may as well be able to, because I always know what's on her mind. Being so close to her is very reassuring, especially during tough times.

I have grown up with my dog and she has grown up with me. She has been my playmate, romping through open meadows with me, my psychiatrist, when I've needed a shoulder to cry on, and my teacher, showing me through shining example the values of honesty, loyalty and temperance.

In the words of writer Roger Caras, "Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made."

Not only are dogs the best deal man has ever made, but they're also the surest deal, because "There is no faith which has never yet been broken, except that of a truly faithful dog." ~Konrad Lorenz, Nobel laureate zoologist

-------

Good luck persuading your parents. My life would not be complete had I grown up without a dog.... I would not be complete.

• 1 decade ago

Ok, first saftey should not be a reason to get a dog. Like all the other people said, friend, companion, and so on. On march 7th this year my tea cup pomeranian was attacked by a pit bull, and he died, I love that dog sooooooooooooo much, I had him for 5 years. It hurt soo bad to lose him, I still cant belive it. I felt like i just lost a family member, cuz thats what he is, and thats wat a dog is. LIke your brother or sister. You haveto be ready to handle anything tha may come up with a dog. I just got a 4 week old Boxer puppy, I lover her to peices, but she is a pain in the butt sometimes, Just like a human baby, you dont know what they want when they cry, you dont know when they have to pee or poo, its hard. so you HAVE TO be prepared!

I wouldnt push your dad to hard. You should think about it a little more. Are you gonna want to not hang with ur friends cuz u gotta take care of ur pup/dog? Are you going to be able to feed the dog? get him groomed? his shots? give him alot of love and attention???? these are very important things. If the dog gets hurt can you afford to get him help? are you going to want to walk the dog EVERYDAY for the rest of his/her life? Once you get a dog it is a lifetime commentment, and when you lose your little guy, im telling you now, its going to hurt like hell. (excuse my language).

So PLEASE PLEASE think about these things. Don't make a dog suffer just because you didnt make the right decision.

OH! and when and if you get a dog, try to adopt. There are millions of dogs out there thet get put to sleep just because they didnt get a home in time.

• 3 years ago

properly I actually have a three 12 months previous son and a a million 12 months previous daughter and while my son grew to become right into a million, I have been given him a sprint bunny. He spoke of because it a "puppy" yet he grew to become into in basic terms a million! The bunny died some months while we've been given it and he found out a sprint approximately dying. we've got 3 cats and the infants love them. He carried our kitten around all day as quickly as we extra it residing house. My daughter likes to puppy the kitty and tries to sneak them fowl nuggets at time for dinner. i think of pets are impressive from the get pass. We additionally foster rescue dogs on occasion and my young ones love as quickly as we get a puppy in the residing house! that's a great thank you to coach all of them varieties of issues. And it would not lead them to greater services to bronchial asthma. it quite is a genetic ailment. My daughter had it from start. And we in basic terms have been given the cats this previous March. so because it quite is my opinion. desire that facilitates. upload: I additionally paintings in a vet's place of work and understand for a fact that there are in basic terms some disseases that are zoonotic(i.e. could be surpassed from animal to human). as long because of the fact the animals are exact vaccinated(no farm shop vaccines!), you have no longer something to fret approximately.

• 1 decade ago

The benefits of having a dog are overwhelming and undeniable. Start with your ego. A dog does wonders for it because you suddenly live in a world in which every move you make is extraordinarily impressive. At any given time, your four-legged admirer is probably thinking one of three thoughts:

• 1 decade ago

The first is NOT safety!!

the list is endless tho!but here are a couple

friend/companion

Fun

can walk with you

But dont forget they are VERY time consuming, an hard work as weell!!

you must have a LOT of free time to spend with your dog

Source(s): husky dog owner
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The decision to get a dog is not something to be taken lightly. An adorable puppy can tug at our heartstrings but, in the end, will require a significant investment of your time and money for a significant number of years. Socializing and training a new puppy is time consuming and, occasionally, frustrating. It can increase the amount of stress on the family, and the dog, working to provide the constant supervision, socialization, and training that is necessary to successfully integrate a dog into a family environment. This is especially true if the primary caregiver(s) are working outside of the home and/or have young children, an elderly parent, or other persons and/or pets to care for. This does not mean that it cannot be done. But, prospective dog owners often underestimate the investment of time, energy, and money, required.

Additionally, depending upon what breed or mixed breed you ultimately select it may take some time to find the right breeder and/or the right puppy/dog. Reputable, ethical breeders do not breed frequently. And, they only breed when they have found a pair who has been proven to possess the health and temperaments required to insure, to the extent possible, healthy, well tempered, offspring.

Making this decision impulsively, can lead to frustration, disappointment, and eventually, may result in the surrender of the dog to a shelter or rescue.

In the US, the tragic fact is that, millions of the dogs are prematurely euthanized, annually. And, most often, it is the owners, not the dogs, who are responsible for their premature deaths. Impulsive or poorly thought out decisions; the selection of a difficult or headstrong breed because it is 'popular' or you like how it looks; or, for that matter, any dog selected for looks rather than temperament, 'match' to your lifestyle, and your ability to provide proper care and environment; the lack of consideration of the lifestyle changes you may experience over the next 12 to 14 years; as well as the lack of proper socialization, training, physical activity, and attention -- these are all major contributors to the need for so many shelters and rescues. And, results, all too frequently, in premature euthanasia.

WHY DO YOU WANT A DOG?

The first question you should ask yourself, honestly is . . . Why do I (we) want a dog?

If your answer is:

For my son/daughter/children . . . Trust me, this will be YOUR dog! After the 'honeymoon period', the kids may only play with the dog, occasionally. They may groan and grumble about any dog-related responsibilities, doing them, begrudgingly, only after significant prodding from you. As children's interests and activities change, over the years, their level of involvement with the dog will most likely be, inconsistent, at best. Additionally, your children, especially, young children, will need to be 'trained' in how to behave with the dog and will need to be supervised when with the dog.

For protection . . . I know some may disagree but, it is my opinion, that the only time is it a good idea to get a dog for the purpose of protection is in professional or agricultural situations and only when the owner/trainer is humane and knowledgeable of dog behavior and dominant dog training/handling. In all other situations - probably 99.9% - an alarm system, security fence, or other measures are much more appropriate and effective.

To breed puppies . . . If you've read the third paragraph of this piece and still feel this way, there is probably little I can offer to change your mind. But, just in case, let me restate the case a little more thoroughly. The breeding of dogs is a responsibility not to be taken lightly. If it is not your intention to remain responsible for all of your puppies for their entire lives, including being willing to take back and care for those who may find themselves homeless, do not enter into this endeavor. If you are planning on breeding for profit, understand that there are much easier, more profitable and ethical ways to make a buck. Dogs are living beings and dog breeding requires a significant investment of time, money, labor, knowledge, both academic and practical, patience, and emotional fortitude, to be done responsibly and humanely. Please visit a few of the shelter and rescue websites, or your local shelter, and witness the problem yourself. View the faces of the homeless dogs and talk to the volunteers and staff who, all too often, must take that 'final walk' with them.

Because BreedX is 'Cool', was in a movie you saw, is unique and exotic, is free/cheap, or other such nonsense . . . One of the WORSE reasons to get a dog, or any other animal, for that matter, is because of their physical appearance or popularity due to a movie, TV show, or other publicity. Often, these venues feature exotic, rare or unique breeds that are, in the overwhelming majority of pet situations, unsuitable as companions. This visibility may also draw out those 'breeders' whose primary motivation is profit versus health, temperament, structural soundness and the welfare of their dogs.

And, remember to incorporate the same thoughtful consideration on whether or not to get a dog, and which breed or mix, when your friend, coworker or relative offers you one of Fluffy's puppies. Dogs are never really 'free' or 'cheap' and, in reality, require significant financial, physical, time, and environmental resources. At a minimum, none of these, or other such reasons, are sound selection factors for getting a dog and selecting a particular breed or mix. And, remember, if it is difficult for you to find information on a particular breed, or a breeder of the breed, it follows that you will most likely also have difficulty finding local support services that are familiar with the training, health care, and maintenance needs of that breed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.