C section delivery question?

how long did it take you to heal from the incision? and how long was it before u felt like you could do your normal routine? how did u feel the 1st week of the c section? and how did u handle the whole taking care of the baby and the pain? or was it painful. sorry theres alot of ?'s

and why do they usually give a c section?like for what reasons?

• Favorite Answer

haha so many questions! I had a c section so I can answer these.

The first 3 days in the hospital were pretty rough. Hurt a lot. It didn't stop me from getting out of the hospital bed to get the baby and stuff though. I kinda had to because my husband was so tired, it was impossible for me to wake him up at night. When I got home 3 days later, I actually felt pretty good. I was expecting to be a lot more sore then I was. I lived in the second story apartment so I had to climb stairs..that was actually not a big deal either. I took care of Gracee just like any other mom who gave birth vaginally would. I don't think it really slowed me down. The first week I woudl get a little sore but the motrin they gave me helped a lot. It does take a while to heal only because you aren't just healing the outside scar but also the insicions you have inside your body. I honestly didn't think the c section was that bad at all. I have to have one again this time around so I will let you know if that one is any different!

And I had a c section because I was induced and wouldn't dialate. After 15 hours, they decided to take me to c section.

I had a c-section because my baby wouldn't come down through the pelvis after 27 hours of labour! They broke my water and there was maconium in it, and he still wouldn't come down, so they determined his head was too big and did a c-section. there are tons of other reasons for c-sections. The incision healed fairly quickly - we actually went camping with him at three weeks old. After about a week I felt fine, but still tried to be careful and not do anything strenuous for a few weeks more. They tell you the only thing you're allowed to lift is your baby (nothing heavier). It was pretty painful to cough, sneeze, laugh, and have a BM for the first week or two - I had to put pressure against my incision with pillow to help support the muscles when doing these things. The first week of looking after baby was hard, but I think it is no matter what type of delivery you have... it's just such a draining experience - you'll be exhausted and the baby seems to need feeding and changing all the time. If I have another, I REALLY would rather have it vaginally. The other big disappointment for me with the c-section was that I felt really disconnected from the baby for a week or two. It was just so surreal - I couldn't see or feel the baby coming out and then they just handed me this little guy. It kind of messed me up emotionally for awhile. But all was fine a few weeks later...it just wouldn't be my choice next time if possible to have it vaginally.

My C-Section HURT A LOT. It was done because my son was in trouble--I went into labor six weeks early and on top of that, he was breech. Both are common reasons for c-sections, though there are doctors and midwives who will deliver a breech baby vaginally.

Anyway, it hurt terribly beginning when the initial pain meds wore off. The scar healed quickly and looks fine--just a thin red line. But it was about 3 months before I was completely back on my feet, though by 6 weeks I was significantly better and able to do most normal activities. I pray that I never have to have a c-section again. It made bonding with my baby harder than it should have been, because I was in so much pain those first few days and also so medicated. They give you morphine for the first couple days, so you are in a fog. Those first few days I couldn't even shift my weight slightly to get comfortable without horrible, debilitating pain. Another effect is you get painful gas--so painful you may feel as if you can't breath at times.

Seriously, do not get a c-section if you don't need one! It's also not the best for the baby, as labor is needed to begin sending the hormone to the baby's lungs that helps them begin breathing.

• I have had 2 c-sections the first one I healed quickly my incision healed with in the week it was closed and the pain wasn't that bad only if I stood for more then 20 minutes. I felt as though I was back to my old self after the first week but I waited at least two weeks before I started doing the things I did before the c-section but I also listen to my body. Taking care of my daughter wasn't a problem because like I said not much pain, they did a c-section because my daughter was premature and breech. Now my second c-section was a disaster the pain was horrible for the first day and a half but I was sore for a while. with my son the first week my BF was home they did a c-section because I had a previous one with a second c-section there are more risk at least that is what I have experienced when the OB took out my staples half of my incision opened up due to a seroma so it took weeks of cleaning it out with peroxide and saline solution and packing it to get it to heal. But I think the difference in my c-sections were the doctors the first OB was a high risk doctor and the second was a crappy OB who I now refer to as the butcher!

My incision healed pretty quickly, although all my stitches and everything were internal so it was hard to tell.

I was in serious pain for about 4 days, I could hardly walk, although I tried. After the 4 days or so I felt better, but still couldn't sleep very well because of the pain. I was lucky because I live on one level, but one day, about 10 days after my surgery I tried to do some laundry in the basement. Bad idea, I could hardly get back up the stairs.

I don't know how I handled it, I just did because I had to I guess.

They tell you not to drive for 6 weeks, but then schedule you and your baby for doctor's appointments. I ended up having to drive after a week.

I had to have a c-section because of breech presentation, that's one of the most common reasons to have a c-section. Another big reason is "failure to progress", which is when you stop progressing during labor. The most common reason for "failure to progress"? An epidural. But that's neither here nor there.

• Ethel

Mine healed very quickly, within a week the scab was gone and soon after that it was no longer pink. Of course it took roughly 2 years for the numbness to leave my skin as the nerves regrew.

In general I had no pain from the c-section other then adhesions later that stung when they broke up when I was moving around. There is a caveat here, I am not normal - most women are in a great deal of pain after a c-section. Mostly it was a problem as the laundry had to be hauled by other people, as did all the stuff associated with the baby, and you can't drive for 6 weeks after a c-section.

After 28 hour induction after a premature rupture of the membranes, spontaneous without labor, and because I was beta strep positive that pregnancy, it was decided that it was time to deliver. I readily agreed as none of the pain control had worked and I was stuck at 4cm for roughly 16 of those hours.

I had a VBAC with my 2nd. I don't recommend c-sections unless it is strictly medically advisable.

It really wasn't a bad experience for me. I have a high pain tolerance though. I had my Son C-Section on a Tuesday by Thursday I was moving around on my own. Showers and walking to the NICU. The nurses were on me every step of the way. The first week my Mom took over which I felt I could do on my own but everyone wanted to make sure I didn't over do it. By the 3rd week I was doing everything on my own. My Husband was back to work and I was taking care of all 3 of my kids. I didn't feel allot of pain. Stretching and itching the normal healing process. Everyone has there own pain threshold and how they heal.

My Son was breech and I had maternal diabetes both were factors enough for my Doctor to order C-Section. Heart decels, problems with the baby are indicating factors.

the first week was difficult. extremely difficult. the first two or three days, though... ugh. i couldn't even sit up or stand up by myself. i had to walk hunched over and it was so uncomfortable. honestly, it feels like your guts are about to fall out of your stomach.

the doctor will prescribe you pain pills that help but they won't make the pain and discomfort disappear completely. you will need help with the baby for probably at least the first week after you're home from the hospital.

the doctor will explain to you when it will be okay for you to resume normal activities like working out/going back to work/housework/etc. just ask.

some women have elective c-sections because they think it will be an easier recovery (i have had both types of delivery and i can honestly say that recovering from surgical delivery was a lot harder than the aftermath of a vaginal one). some women are told their babies are too big to fit through their pelvis, some women have an active genital infection and don't want to pass it to their baby, and some women have c-sections because they've been in non-progressive labor for too long.

just a bit of advice, though. take it easy and take it slow. if you over-do it you can end up popping a staple or tearing your uterus and then you can end up with a pretty awful infection and an even longer heal time!

I had a C/S because my baby wouldn't fit through my pelvis. I've never experienced pain like I did recovering from my C/S. It was the most awful thing and I will do whatever possible to avoid it in the future. BUT I hear a lot of women say that their C/S was a breeze and they recovered quickly and they would gladly do it again. Maybe their C/S went better or maybe they just handle pain better than I do, I don't know. I also hear women on here say (to people like you asking about C/S) not to listen to the "horror stories" because it really isn't that bad. Well, that isn't fair. For some of us, it WAS that bad. So what you need to remember is that every woman is different and therefore every woman's handling of a C/S will be different, that you may have an easy C/S recovery or you may have a difficult one.

Well I walked around a lot and up and down stairs (at home and infront of the hospital) because my son was premature so my incision didnt heal at first, I went in for my 2 week check (I guess they check to make sure youre healing) and the doctor said Im doing too much that my wound was still open.

The first week I was depressed (mostly because my son was at the hospital and I didnt know how long it would be before I had him and such) and then when I brought him home I was a bit more healed.

Getting up at first (like out of bed n such) really hurt me.. even laughing, and coughing hurt. Using the bathroom at first hurt but then my body got used to it.

They have many reasons they will do a c-section and it really depends on your doctor...

If I have another baby- I want to try to have the baby vaginally. I had my c-section in nov of 2006

Source(s): me