Why Christians Cannot Distinguish Between "Mystery" and "Contradiction"?

Mystery means something that is consistent with reality but unknown or unknowable. Contradiction means that two opposite statements cannot be true at the same time. Now, Jesus cannot be God and man at the same time. Jesus said "Don't call me good for ONLY God is good." That means Jesus is not God. Jesus was tempted but the Bible says that God cannot be tempted. Jesus prayed to God but God does not pray to Himself. Jesus never once said that he is God or a "human-aspect" of God. He might have called himself "son of God" as that expression is used for several people in the Bible. So Gospel of John aside, which is written in a symbolic Gnostic language and can be interpreted in various ways, shouldn't it be obvious that Jesus cannot be God. To believe so is a contradiction, not a mystery.

Here is the exact quote:

18A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

19"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.

It's no mystery that Jesus meant God the Father when when he said "God alone." And he didn't want to be called good. Isn't it obvious that Jesus meant that he is not perfect. Only God [the Father] is perfect.

Best Answer

Many are already aware of this. Those who deny it don't understand and it seems as though they never will.

Christ was/is not God.

Jesus claimed to be God - John 8:24; 8:56-59 (see Exodus 3:14); John 10:30-33

Jesus is called God - John 1:1,14; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Titus 2:13; Heb. 1:8

Jesus is the image of the invisible God - Heb. 1:3

Jesus abides forever - Heb. 7:24

Jesus created all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:15-17

Jesus is before all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:17;

Jesus is eternal - John 1:1,14; 8:58; Micah 5:1-2

Jesus is honored the same as the Father - John 5:23

Jesus is prayed to - Acts 7:55-60; 1 Cor. 1:2 with Psalm 116:41; (John 14:14)

Jesus is worshipped - Matt. 2:2,11; 14:33; John 9:35-38; Heb. 1:6

Jesus is omnipresent - Matt. 18:20; 28:20

Jesus is with us always - Matt. 28:20

Jesus is our only mediator between God and ourselves - 1 Tim. 2:5

Jesus is the guarantee of a better covenant - Heb. 7:22; 8:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Bread of Life" - John 6:35,41,48,51

Jesus said, "I AM the Door" - John 10:7,9

Jesus said, "I AM the Good Shepherd" - John 10:11,14

Jesus said, "I AM the Way the Truth and The Life" - John 14:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Light of the world" - John 8:12; 9:5; 12:46; Luke 2:32

Jesus said, "I AM the True Vine" - John 15:1,5

Jesus said, "I AM the Resurrection and the Life" - John 11:25

Jesus said, "I AM the First and the Last" - Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13

Jesus always lives to make intercession for us - Heb. 7:25

Jesus cleanses from sin - 1 John 1:9

Jesus cleanses us from our sins by His blood - Rev. 1:5; Rom. 5:9

Jesus forgives sins - Matt. 9:1-7; Luke 5:20; 7:48

Jesus saves forever - Matt. 18:11; John 10:28; Heb. 7:25

• ?

Jesus told a Parable of the Tares. Tares were a weed that grew in the wheat fields and rooted in strong. They also looked almost exactly like wheat until it was too late. The day the disgusting, useless fruit began to show was really the day everyone knew for sure that this weed was not true wheat. A good farmer could tell the difference earlier, but pulling out such a well-rooted plant would destroy good wheat too. So the tares were left growing beside the wheat until the harvest, to avoid damaging the wheat. Jesus said the field represents His Kingdom (the Church). Real believers were the wheat. False believers were the tares. Enemies would sometimes plant tares on purpose in the fields of others. The way you know for sure is the fruit. Galatians 5:22 says the fruit of The Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. Lives changed for the better are listed in other passages as fruit. Jesus said by their fruit you will know them. The fruit does not make someone a true Christian. Faith in Jesus' substitutionary purchase of righteousness for them by His death on the cross makes someone a true Christian. The fruit is just the proof. But Churches and Christianity are often judged by outsiders not on the wheat, but on the tares, and that is why an enemy might plant them. Tares are in every church and in every denomination. No group is exempt.

You are right about everything except the gospel of John part. It was not a gnostic text. Gnostic texts are very different from anything in the Bible. The gospel of John shows that Jesus is the son of God and an inferior being. Any text in John that seems to state otherwise is an incorrect translation from the Greek.

• Sam C

maybe a contradiction to our limited human minds, but isn't the eternality of God also a contradiction to us? Science states that something can't come from nothing (spontaneous generation), which is why you don't believe in evolution... yet God came from nothing, for he always was and will be. This is impossible for us to understand, but it's true. Same with Jesus being God and man at the same time.

Granted, Jesus is distinguished from the FATHER. Jesus prayed to his Father, had a separate will from his father... but Jehovah is the Father and so is Jesus.

When Jesus said, "Why do you call me good", was he implying that he is NOT good? Of course not! He was merely asking the man if he realized the implications of his statement (see Romans 3:10-12-- "there is none who does good..."). If he was a mere human, then by God's standards, he was not "good". That's what he was saying.

I admire your devotion to God and the Bible, but I think you have to look deeper to find scripture that supports the deity of Christ. (John 8:58-59). The OT says "every knee will bow" to Jehovah; the NT says "every knee will bow" to Jesus (Phil 2:10) Joel 2:32 says anyone who calls on the name Jehovah will be saved; Romans 10:13 quotes that exact scripture about Jesus! and says "anyone who calls on the name of the Lord [meaning Jesus] will be saved". there are countless overlapping scriptures like this that point to the truth... there is one God, and every knee will bow to him, people will pray to him, angels will praise him and give him glory... his name is Jesus. Revelation 5:12-14.

Job 26:14-- "Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, And how small a whisper we hear of Him! "

Source(s): bible; i have studied this a lot too.

The Incarnation is a mystery, not a contradiction. Jesus IS God and man at the same time. It's also called the Hypostatic Union.

<Jesus said "Don't call me good for ONLY God is good.">

No, Jesus did not say "don't call me good." Stop re-writing the Bible.

<Jesus was tempted but the Bible says that God cannot be tempted. >

You are really confused. The Bible says Jesus said, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord Thy God" in reference to Himself. Again, you are re-writing the Bible.

Exodus 3:14 - God says "I AM who I AM" - John 8:58 - Jesus says "Before Abraham was, I AM" in reference to Himself.

ohn 1:1 - John writes, "the Word was God." This is clear evidence of Jesus Christ's divinity. (Note: in the Jehovah's bible, the passage was changed to "Word was a god." This is not only an embarrassing attempt to deny the obvious divinity of Christ, but it also violates the first commandment and Isaiah 43:10 because it acknowledges that there is more than one God).

John 10:30 - Jesus says, "I and the Father are one." They are equal. The Jews even claimed Jesus made Himself equal to God. Jesus' statement in John 14:28, "the Father is greater than I," cannot contradict John 10:30 (the Word of God is never in conflict). Jesus' statement in John 14:28 simply refers to His human messianic role as servant and slave, which He, and not the Father or the Holy Spirit, undertook in the flesh.

You have been sorely misguided.

• Acorn

Jesus didn't say "Don't call me good for only God is good."

He posed a rhetorical question to the man who called Him good: Why do you call me good, if only God is good? This was a common rabbinical devise that people in His time would have been aware of.

What He was saying was "You know that only God is good, but you recognize me as good. So what conclusion can you draw?"

It's a simple syllogism:

A. Only God is good.

B. Rich young man recognized Him as good.

C. Therefore He is God.

He knew that coming right out and saying "I am God" would have been seen as a terrible blasphemy, and He would have been killed for it before His mission was over.

This alone shows you something: the contradictions you see might be nothing more than lack of knowledge.

Mysteries are things that we can't explain, but that nevertheless, seem to exist. "Mystery means something that is consistent with reality" is a very vague statement, with no clear definition of words like "reality" and "consistent."

Source(s): "the other, equally likely conclusion is that god is in us all": You're right, Middle Man. God is in all of us. But until you and I can raise the dead, heal the sick, touch people's lives and change them for the better the way He did, it's safe to say that God was in Jesus in a different way than how He exists in you or me.

Jesus had a dual nature.

Colossians 2:9:

For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.

2 Corinthians 5:19:

......God was in Christ......

1 Timothy 3:16:

......God was manifest in the flesh......

Titus 2:13:

.....the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ....

*ADDED* Jesus IS The Everlasting Father, read Isaiah 9:6.

The Father and I are one,look that up in Bible, I am the way,I am the truth, I am the life.

John 12v44-45 Then Jesus cried out "When a man believes in me he does not believe in me only but in the one who sent me. When he looks at me he sees the one who sent me. NIV

There is no mystery just statements of truth many miss the truth of scripture.

• G C

Jesus was tempted but He never consider succumbing to that. God is God the Father, God the Son (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit. God reveals Himself as one God in three persons.

... and copious texts lend support to the belief that He was, indeed, God incarnate.

Your paragraph, easily read, by the way, offers nothing new in the defense for the opposing view.