Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsAuto RacingNASCAR · 1 decade ago

Is Dale Jr. still the king of plate racing?

I haven't seen him doing as well on the big tracks. It looks like he's better on the short tracks now. What do you say Jr. fans?

Best Answer

Not in my opinion. Ive always thought Jeff Gordon was the "Plate" man after Dale Sr passed away.(RIP). Tony Stewart is not too shabby either although his plate race wins are less than Jr. It took what 15 or 20 years before Sr won the 500 but yet won a bunch of Dega races. Plate racing is luck of the draw. Figure cautions, lap traffic, "teammates" you have to be in the right place at the right time.

<< Not a hater but a realist. Peace!

Source(s): 2

He understands restrictor plate racing as good if not better than anyone else on the track but restrictor plate racing has changed. The way they changed the front ends on the car makes the air flow different than it use to when he was referred to as the king of R/P racing. They changed to the splitter (which gave the cars more drag) and then compensated by giving the cars a little more throttle response and that changed the whole draft strategy. Now it's more to do with horsepower, blocking, and last minute maneuvers ... oh yea teamwork.

When Dale was dominating he could come from the back to the front in a couple of laps. Now it's not as easy. He would spend 3/4 of the race trying to see what cars worked best with him. The only problem is is 1) he doesn't want to work with his team mates and 2) nobody else will work with him because they know he would win if they helped him.

Now to win R/P races you really need a partner that you can count on. Michael Waltrip use to be that partner but I can't say that he's had a good draftng partner since Michael was dropped from DEI. He hasn't lost the ability I don't think. It's just things have changed.

Nope until he wins again,people will never say he is the King of plates, but once he wins again that could change. Dale Jr is struggling all over right now until he learns and puts the media idiots away, I say its gonna be hard, dang I think he needs to out and look up to the sky and have a good talk with this late father Dale Sr, then once I think he could find some guidance..I spoke with some on his crew this past week the pressure is more than gigantic.

Go Dale Jr & Hms

• mbl

I'm not a JR fan per se but I'll answer anyway. It doesn't seem as much that way anymore. I still think he is as good a driver on plate tracks as anybody. But its been quite a while since he last won a plate race. His weakness is the big fast downforce tracks it seems. He is pretty good on the short tracks. I think the fact that he has won so few races lately and no championships should put to rest any talk of Nascar scripting things. They have to be praying for this guy to become a force. But it almost seems as if he is gradually getting worse over time.

I think you're right. He hasn't won a points race at a plate track since 2004. His average finish at short tracks is better than the plate tracks. In my opinion, his best performance from last year was at the second Martinsville race when he finished second. He is still a good plate racer, but other drivers have caught up to him. Jeff Gordon has won six plate races since 2004. Kyle Busch won two plate races last year and led the most laps in the Daytona 500 this year.

Big E put a lot of R'n'D into restrictor plate racing because he knew that it was going to be a major part of NASCAR. For a while DEI (and RCR) were dominate at the plate races because they had a few things figured out that other teams didn't. It's not that Jr is any less of a driver now than he was a few years ago, it's just that the other teams have caught up with him.

Dale Jr has had a wonderful record in the last 14 RP races...

27th

28th

8th

10th

9th

40th

36th

7th

32nd

23rd

13th

31st

8th

40th

His last top 5 finish at a restrictor plate track was at the 2005 Pepsi 400 where he finished 3rd. The amount of RP races you have to look back to his last win is the same # of his total career wins; 18. The 2004 Daytona 500.

Given this, I don't think so. It's all hype now.

No. He hasn't won a plate race in like 4 years. Come to think of it, he's only won 3 races in the last 4 years! Dale Jr. needs to get his act together. They aren't running well anywhere.

Source(s): the force

I think Dale Sr. was the kind of plate racing. And I don't think he's given up that title.

I seem to recall that when Jr. won his 5th race at Dega his comment was "**** that don't mean nothin', Daddy won 10."

I only dislike him because he's my mom's favorite so we have a friendly rivalry. I don't think there's anything wrong with him as a person, however, I think Nascar treats him differently than other drivers and that's not fair. I also think a small number of his fans are just awful. They can be rude and obnoxious, but that's not his fault.