Do the youth that get political news from SNL and comedy central consider themselves informed?

Favorite Answer

The funny thing is: They REALLY do think they are informed. Sad, isn't it. There was an earlier liberal poster here who actually thought that Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house.

Some Americans are dumb beyond belief.

They actually think Jon Stewart is a news anchor.

When I was young I didn't care about sh!t except how soon I was going to get my @ss shot off in Vietnam! Then I started to hang around with some cool people who introduced me to PCP, cocaine and acid and the such, and as I watched them and considered how they thought I began to understand that they weren't all there, and that's when I became a Republican! Oh I missed the Nam by some years but couldn't shake the feeling of the left being the left over peace nicks who spit on our troops and called them baby killers and that turned my stomach! I see the Democrats as being everything that is wrong with this country along with a lot of what the republicans are handing out also! Republicans want to rob you blind in business and the Democrats want to be mentally disturbed! We need a new party that cares for the elderly and poor, who know right from wrong like the Democrats don't have a clue about and keep business's here in America and running well and profitable without using their employees as slaves and pay down the national debt! Right now the little people as they are called are being blamed for the fall of the banks and that's wrong! The little people have a great example to learn by and that's the government its self! That's right! Spend, spend, spend! This government is so in debt that it's going to take years to pay back! I don't know where the young get there information but they had better wise up to if you have cash then save some and pay your bills and hide the rest from the government!

That's just as ludicrous as only reading or watching things from one point of view. Say you only watch Fox News and listen to Limbaugh. It's intellectually lazy. You should listen to or read domestic news, the foreign news, the left, the right, the middle. And then somehow kind of figure approximately what is going on. This is one reason the Republicans lost in 2006 and 08. They became the party of slogans and mindlessly towing the line. They can't win an arguement since they've had their heads in the sand for the past 8 years.

At least Jon Stewart is funny when he blatently exposes his biases. And yes, I agree, that is moronic as well. As is a liberal voter who considers "The New York Times" a centrist newspaper, and believes it like gospel.

I don't believe that anyone who is intelligent enough to enjoy the humor of shows like the Daily Show, Colbert Report, and SNL jokes believe they are being objectively informed by the shows themselves, but if you look at the studies, you'll find youth who watch those shows are significantly more likely to attempt to become informed through the news media, more likely to read legitimate sources of political news.

So no, not directly informed by the shows, but informed in the sense that they are more willing that most to pursue legitimate facts.

• cruze

Comedy important is stressful to overcome. that's often solid for a snicker and is greater truthful than Hannity, who's additionally solid for a snicker and a acceptable merchandise of ridicule. Did you hear the be conscious to Hannity from John Cleese? A be conscious to Shawn Hannity Aping urbanity, oozing with arrogance Plump as a manatee, faking humanity Journalistic calamity, psychological inanity Fox noise insanity, you’’re a profanity, Hannity.

The youth consider themselves informed on a whole host of topics. I remember that I was the smartest guy in the world when I was 18; it takes a while in the real world for them to realize the truth.

Not just that, they consider themselves superior. Don't worry, they'll learn how ignorant they are when they have to take the reins of their destiny. Well some will, anyway. They others will cry, beg and demand the property of others well into old age.

• Kman

They are. It's well documented. http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/28/comedy.po...

I don't think anyone gets their news from just comedy shows... if you watch political satire, you have to understand the references in the first place. It's more likely that they're reading up than those who don't watch Jon Stewart & co.

I don't have time for television. I get my political agenda from books. During the day I spend most of my time watching porno, and at night I'm at the club or ****** bitches.

As informed as we ever were at that age.

There should be a voting test, say the test to become an American citizen. & the age should go back up to 21.