Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Arabic Translation help?

If someone has time can they please translate this for me?

واللائي لم يحضن" فعدتهن ثلاثة أشهر

If possible, the whole thing (the whole sentence) and then piece by piece (each word/part)?

Thanks muchly :)

Update:

@Sara R: Well thank you for looking at my ? anyway :) Peace.

Update 2:

@Will: Is that YOUR translation? Im looking for someone who knows Arabic to translate it word for word is all - I can google search someone else's translation if that's what I wanted.

Thanks for your answer though

Update 3:

Thank you Kencana & Dawn.

Now now humiliateme; that's not YOUR translation (unless you wrote the article in question)?

I appreciate everyone's input so far thank you so much!

Update 4:

Alright thanks everyone. There are some really great answers here; I can't decide!

So I think it's vote time :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Detailed analysis of the verse in Arabic

The Quran says in Arabic:

"and those who never had menses" (because they are underage)

Quran 65:4

Source: Tafsir from al-islam.com

The transliteration of the verse and the meaning of each portion of the verse is given below:

Wa Al-Lā'ī Lam Yaĥiđna

wa ( وَ ) = and

Al-Lā'ī ( وَاللَّائِي ) = for those who

Lam ( لَمْ ) = did not (negation in past tense) [1]

Yaĥiđna ( يَحِضْنَ ) = menstruate.

Yaĥiđna comes from the verbal root H-Y-D ( حيض ) which means "to menstruate".

The addition of prefix "Ya" and suffix "na" to the root "HYD" shows that the word is used in used in third person, feminine gender, plural, imperfective aspect.[2]

The imperfective aspect, by itself lacks any tense feature. [1] The tensed negatives like lam ( لَمْ ) (negation in past tense), lan ( لن ) (negation in future tense), laa ( لَ ) (negation in present tense) combined with imperfectives decide the tense in this case.

Thus lam Yadrus = He did not study.

In the verse 65:4, Lam Yaĥiđna = 'those who did not menstruate'.

Further the imperfective verb in the context of lam ( لَمْ ) (past tensed negatives) is in the Jussive mood. [1] From Wikipedia:

The mood is similar to the cohortative mood, in that it expresses plea, insistence, imploring, self-encouragement, wish, desire, intent, command, purpose or consequence. In some languages, the two are distinguished in that cohortative occurs in the first person and the jussive in the second or third. It is found in Arabic, where it is called the مجزوم, majzum. The rules governing the jussive in Arabic are somewhat complex. [3]

Conclusion:

It is clear the verse 65:4 is given as a command to be followed (Jussive mood).

The verse itself refers to those women who did not menstruate(in all of past time until the present time), which can include children or girls before puberty or attainment of menarche (first period).

Therefore, the exact translation of this portion of Qur'an 65:4 is "Not menstruated yet" ( لَمْ يَحِضْنَ ). In Arabic, the menstruating process is called HAIDH ( حيض ). It is possible to turn this noun into its verb form. Like we do it with menstruation, "menstruate" is YAHIDH ( يَحِض ). But it is LAM ( لَمْ ) that appears before YAHIDH and the NA ( نَ ) associated with YAHIDH and this puts Islamic apologists in a quandary because it cannot have any other meaning than “Not menstruated yet”. This is the appropriate English translation.

This verse 65:4 should be read as continuation of Quran 33:49. If a woman who has not used for sex should not have to observe any Iddah at all, as mentioned in 33:49, what is the reason for the prescribed Iddah for those women who are not menstruated yet? This is a clear indication marrying pre-pubescent girls and having sex with them is sanctioned by Quran.

The phrase found in Quran 65:4 as "Wallaee Lam Yahidhna" is sometimes mistranslated by apologists. Exact meaning of the phrase is available in Tafsirs (Quran interpretations). Let Mufassirs clarify the issue of "Wallaee Lam Yahidhna":

Source(s): Pedophilia in the Quran - WikiIslam
  • 1 decade ago

This part of the Divorce Chapter

Where it discusses

that if one divorces an old lady who no longer have their periods

-------

واللائي

and those

لم

Did not

يحضن

have their periods

فعدتهن

so their waiting time

ثلاثة

Three

أشهر

Months

----------

then the one after talks about the pregnant woman

we know hat the legal marriage year in the past is as soon as a girl gets her periods as then she is considered a grown up

----------

some people got confused that this means that a girl can be married before the period.

well this is not true.

this means that if a girl does not get their periods in the normal age as some girls in the past were not getting it even at the age of 14, even 18.

• 1 decade ago

واللائ

= (i don't get the meaning)

لم

= Not

يحضن

= have menstrual

فعدتهن ثلاثة أشهر

= periods of three months

Btw, I agree with Will Smith. It might refer to Iddah period of non-mestruate women.

=)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

those who did not appeare their menstruation ,they have to wait for three months to get married.تلك التى لم تظهر عليها العدة فيجب ان تنتظر مدة ثلاثة اشهر ففى هذة المدة قد يظهر اذا هناك حمل ام لا وهى مدة كافية لكى تعرف ومن هنا تستطيع ان تتزوج بعد هذة المدة

واللة اعلم

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Y!A
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

And [as for] those of your women who (read allā’Ä« or allā’i in both instances) no longer expect to menstruate, if you have any doubts, about their waiting period, their prescribed [waiting] period shall be three months, and [also for] those who have not yet menstruated, because of their young age, their period shall [also] be three months — both cases apply to other than those whose spouses have died; for these [latter] their period is prescribed in the verse: they shall wait by themselves for four months and ten [days] [Q. 2:234]. And those who are pregnant, their term, the conclusion of their prescribed [waiting] period if divorced or if their spouses be dead, shall be when they deliver. And whoever fears God, He will make matters ease for him, in this world and in the Hereafter.

• 1 decade ago

The Iddat (Period of waiting till they can marry again) of those who have not had their monthly period, is three months.

The original verse is :

"Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if ye have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life within their wombs), their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah, He will make their path easy."

• 1 decade ago

i study arabic so I can directly stud the Quran (I am a muslim) but astaghfirlah i don't know what this means.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.