In Yahoo Messenger Error Code-40402 Address Book?

Almost 9 out of 10 times, when I am trying to update address book of my Yahoo Messenger Contacts ( like adding mobile number or nick name , etc ), I get the above error code, and my updation is not accepted.

Please advise.

I am using YM 8.1.

Thanks in advance to all

Pls explain what you mean by:

" try editing your contacts details in your address book before editing messenger contact information"

Favorite Answer

40402 is a yahoo server error code and is triggered when you do something out of sequence - try editing your contacts details in your address book before editing messenger contact information

I had this error, and another bizarre browser bug that I was unaware of until both caught me totally by surprise. First, try the simple stuff. If you've imported contacts from google or another provider, but your contact primarily uses yahoo mail as you do, delete the imported contact data entirely, (in yahoo ONLY) Then add your contact back using only their yahoo email address. Next, in Win 7, check your "default mail client" in your control panel. Until today, I thought Windows did this automatically. It doesn't. After selecting your prefered mail client from the available options, you are not yet done. Click on it and you may see a dialog box with a blue link for your mail client's site. Mine was Windows Live. You'll be directed to a download page. I hesitated because I was puzzled, but finally, I downloaded. Follow whatever prompts you get along the way CAREFULLY. Remember, this funky process works, but will not be fully activated until you REBOOT. So be sure to do that. Open Yahoo Messenger. If no one is on, just pick someone and pretend that you're going to SMS them, or do whatever triggered the error before. Oh, no more error(s)? Good, you're done. Enjoy My sincere thanks to the user who helped me. Yahoo isn't the problem. It's Windows folks.

It is now 2014 and I still experience this problem when ever I attempt to add a new address or phone number to an 'existing' contact

I m now having this problem too. It started just after I went in and cleaned up a bunch of really old contacts -- people who didn t come on Yahoo any more because so many things don t work here any more. :(

This problem seems un-fixable. the contacts I want to delete do not show in my address list through yahoo mail so that fails.

I'm having the same problem.

I think it's just a glitch that Yahoo developers will have to address.

For now, go here: http://address.yahoo.com/

It works, at least until they fix the problem permanently.

can not delete names yahoo messanger

code will not let me delete a contact from my list please advise